• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 Ranger, 5R55E, installed central valve body, no reverse

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Folks,

As the title states, I installed a reman valve body from Central Valve bodies in my 2004 Ranger with a 5R55E.

HERE'S WHAT I DID:
Installed the new valve body
Adjusted the intermediate and O/D bands
Installed a new servo cover gasket and viton D-rings on the low/reverse servo

PROBLEM: after the valve body install, I have NO reverse - doesn't even feel like its engaging.

The truck DOES go into drive when placed in "D"
The manual valve is positioned correctly

I dropped the valve body and low/reverse servo too see if anything obvious was awry. Nothing. I check the low/reverse servo to make sure I didn't bugger one of the D-rings. Neither of the rings rolled, either. They look fine. I also checked to make sure that the end of the piston rod engages the "notch" on the reverse band. It appears that the band is in the proper place.

Truck had all gears before valve body install - new valve body was installed as part of a 130K preventative maintenance service.

I was EXTREMELY careful about torquing the valve body progressively and in the proper order to 95in/lb. I used a 4-stage torque sequence: 25-45-70-95

I need help fast. I appreciate any input you can provide!

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE......................!

About 30min ago, I reinstalled the old valve body, made sure the low/reverse band was aligned properly, reinstalled the low/reverse servo, and filled her up with 7qts of Castrol Transmax.

Truck shifts into reverse just fine
All my gears are present
Trans appears to be shifting smoothly and normally
No trouble codes or flashing O/D lights

And it appears that the reman valve body from Central was the culprit - after installing it for the first time and no reverse, I removed it again to make sure I didn't screw anything up. I made sure the low/reverse band was aligned properly, as well. Still no reverse with this valve body. I have no idea what's wrong with it, but I'll be sending it back to Donny ASAP for a refund.

I pissed away my entire weekend and almost $80 of synthetic fluid FFING around with a bad part. :-/

The entire saga is in a thread at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419898

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals