• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help to megasquirt a 2.3

93lima

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 ford range
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hi all, I'm new here, and I'm in need of some help, and yes i have spent countless hours googleing on how to megasquirt a 2.3 ranger, and I have read the article about it at megasquirt.com and every time ppl ask a question about the subject ppl say to just do a thunderbird swap or misc...but I don't have that option, what I need is a complete list of parts that I need to make a megasquirt work with my truck, I have a 93 ford ranger with the 2.3 dual spark, the truck is a 5 speed,2wd.. I already know what all needs to be done to the engine to make it a turbo and I already know how to turbo a ranger but the only thing that has me stuck is the ecu, I know the stock computer cant handle a turbo, so any info would be nice and much appreciated, thanxs

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome.

I would look at how to megasquirt a mustang 2.3l SOHC with DIY turbo, would be much more info on those forums.

It is not a Ranger specific issue, and my bet would be there were more Mustangs with this type of conversions than Rangers, but just a guess.

Sorry I can't help more

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
check out turborangerforums.com or turboford.org

93lima

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 ford range
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate the help guys but I already tryed all that still no strait answer

Ralleytuned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You need:

Megasquirt ecu, the v2.2 will work but the v3 does it better, I recommend at least using the v3 board, even if you choose to use MS1. To summarize, ms1 v3

Wiring harness for megasquirt

2 relays, holders, pins - one for the main power and one for the fuel pump

wiring connectors and heat shrink in various sizes to match wire sizes (most are 18-22ga)

the engine needs at least a coolant temp sensor and an intake air temp sensor. You can usually use the stock CLT and configure with the megasquirt. The GM intake air temp sensor is easy to install in the intake tract and is pre configured in the megasquirt.

A throttle body with a TPMS is ideal, something cable operated with a TPS is all you need, make sure you have the plug for it with at least 6" of wire

A wideband 02 sensor gauge like the AEM Uego or the Innovate MTX series are the best out there.

Install parts, wire accordingly and tune (which is the hardest part of the swap). Megasquirt is an amazing system and I have been working with it for over a decade. However, dont think for a second it is an easy swap. I have to be honest, if you need it laid out like this, it may be a little over your head. It is not a setup for someone not very familiar with wiring and engine tuning. The information that is out there is very broad and very hard to find specific information for certain parts of the project. With that said, if you understand wiring and have a good grasp of engine tuning already, it is probably the easiest system to do as your first standalone.

Another recommendation I make is that you need to be sure there is a tuner in your area that is familiar with MS. If you live somewhere and you do not have anyone local to help you, OR you are not wiling to pay for a professional to help when you have hit the wall, this can be a very frustrating and expensive en-devour.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It sounds like this is the type of info the OP needed. I think sometimes that people just need that little bit to get started and carry thru, whether they know enough at the beginning or not. Thanks for answering his question.
Richard

Ralleytuned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'd be happy to assist with further questions on here or PM on it for the OP or anyone having similar isses. I'm not trying to discourage you and would like to see how it works out, I have a spare ecu sitting in my garage and a 2.3 ranger with a crappy single bbl carb haha

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I'll field a question to you, or the OP. I want to know if there's a side to this discussion that I'm missing.

What is a person's motivation to use MS? Usually price.
If you want capability?-MS is on the low-side of the aftermarket
Ease/user friendliness? -nope, not even close to most of the aftermarket.
Factory tech support? - haha, if that was even close this thread wouldn't exist lol

10 years ago there wasn't the options there are now. But right now, as far as it seems. Price is the only redeeming factor for MS. Because there isn't anything MS can do, that the slew of others available can't do better. Including using tuning suites with a factory ECM, not necessarily the ECM for that specific engine/vehicle. But a factory ECM nonetheless.

At least in GMs we use an LS PCM to run 4-bangers, old engines with distributors etc. Because of that PCM's tuning capacity.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
cammeddrz;
I'll answer. I know next to nothing about megasquirt. I've heard that there is another similar system, maybe called quarter-horse? I grew up playing with carbs and points, but have been slowly learning about eec4, which in itself is an outdated system. I didn't grow up with computers and without a tremendous amount of time invested in research it's hard to find out on your own about the possibilities. Megasquirt is something I briefly investigated while thinking about FI for some carbed engines I own, on the backburner for the forseeable future. Everything I've learned has been on my own, first thru magazines, then books, and now forums. That means my knowledge is very spotty. For me, any info will be welcomed, especially if I don't know about it. Maybe I would change my plan of attack if I just knew a little more. And for me, price is the major factor. If I had money, somebody else would have built my race-truck and I would have been racing a lot sooner....and more often.
BUT, that is not what the OP specifically asked for, he wanted specific knowledge re; MS. To me it's better to answer the question, and then add any thoughts pertaining to cost, ease of use, different systems, etc to help in making an informed decision.

Richard

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
To me it's better to answer the question, and then add any thoughts pertaining to cost, ease of use, different systems, etc to help in making an informed decision.

Richard
As far as i could tell the question had been answered,
at least this guy named "alwaysfloored" said so-maybe you know him?

Second, i didn't "offer any thoughts", or suggest anything. I genuinely asked about MS, and what its appeal was. People still use it. . .despite the reasons i listed. I wanted to know what i was missing out on.
Notice how i left out brand names? System models? Software companies? I assumed those people were well aware of these, and therefore felt it unnecessary to elaborate, and ironically j didn't want to come off like i was criticizing, or pushing the OP into other options. . . How'd that work out for me lol

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@ cammeddrz
How'd that work out for me lol
It is really hard to judge tone in a written post. I was also trying to be uncritical in my post....oops. lol

A part of your post that caught my attention was using ls parts for controllers. Care to elaborate? Perhaps in a new thread?

Ralleytuned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I'd be happy to tell you why I, as well as more than a dozen of my friends, and probably triple that many customers, use megasquirt over the other options out there (including oem in some cases).

It is impossible to beat the value for how powerfull of a management it is. Its cheap and easy to install (its two relays and a handfull of sensor), AND you can custom tune it for any application, or if you change engines or want a turbo. The tuning software is super intuitive if you have a solid grasp on how engines work. For a standalone, its very simple and it has massive potential. Plus it just makes engine swaps way easier.

I personally have had it on my vw rabbit track day car, my daily vw golf (40k in two years with the squirt), as well as my passat syncro with a 1.8t (big turbo, 50k in 3 years on squirt). In my opinion its as reliable as stock if it installed well and tuned proper.

:beer:

akatagyourit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The other option is moates quarter horse that piggy backs off the ecu which I would say is less efficient than a full standalone. As far as megasquirt you can contact them and tell them the exact vehicle its being setup on and they can build and configure it for the stock harness for your vehicle if your planning to use it at least when I was looking at it sometime ago for my 2.3T mustang I had.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals