• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

O/D light flashing and code P0741. 1996 4x4

96ranger702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone , love this site and helpful community so far I just wanna say .

First here are the specs that I know .
1996 Ford Ranger XLT -4.0L - 4x4 automatic - 198k .

Back story vehicle : (scroll below for the problem)
I have owned for about 7 months . I am currently a mechanic as a profession but a newbie with less then 3 years as experience this profession. So I am up to par with the basics as far as taking care of it and maintenance at least.
When purchased and still is besides the issue , truck was in outstanding condition and clearly taken care of , for it being a 96. The Seller owned for 5 years and used for trails and some minor rock crawling (lots of common upgrades done for the off road use.)
Important : He had the trans "rebuilt" about 3 years ago (160-170k at time). I have receipt. It only says something about a solenoid , tourque converter, and then fluid , labor , etc. Price was about $1500.
Shop offered no feel or help really except to do a rebuild for a few grand . no warranty under new owner of course .

Problem:
O/D light flashing only when truck has been driven 30-45 min long or 20-35 miles . Its like clock work. My work is 20-30 miles away and always comes on when almost home same spot . I am NOT driving it currently anymore .

When light starts flashing it will shift hard from 1st-2nd gear . the rest are normal . Before light , shifts fine in all gears.

Leading up to above problem and recent repairs:
I started to hear a grinding noise that quickly got louder until bam, flywheel broke . No flashing light or codes either.
I replaced flywheel . Ran great for about a day until light started flashing .
Then I changed trans filter (which I'm reading I shouldn't have done maybe idk) . magnet had a coat of fine powdered metal dust but none large . I read that could be normal . I have pic of needed .

Code P0741
I'm planning on , depending on advice I get here, changing the TCC solenoid. I've read I should also change the valve body gasket as well . Plenty of tutorials online I'm confident I can do it and yes I have a tourque wrench lol.

Anymore info in left out please let me know . Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated guys thank You .

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
I have had luck drilling this on the 95-96 models. Have gone to .093 but start at .060 to.062 Keep us posted.

View attachment 20781

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals