• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

07 5r55e into a 98 with a 5r55e

juice90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering if there are any issues swapping a newer 5r55e from an o7 ranger into my 98 mazda with the same trans. Numbers all appear to be the same.

Also wondering if they had addressed the problems in the 07 trans or am I still going to have gasket failures, hard shifting etc.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As long as it is from same engine displacement it shouldn't be a problem, i.e. 4.0l, OHV or SOHC had same bolt pattern, there will be an extra hole on bell housing on the '07
But not sure on the wiring harness connectors
Shift sensor should be the same, but not sure on the trans plug-in

1998 Ranger used rear axle sensor for speed signal, transmission wasn't part of that system.

Newer year trans will have any updates/changes made for past issues.

But all automatics run on high pressure so all automatics will have pressure issues as they get older.
Harsh shifting reads like computer was in "limp mode", as in limp home, it will do that if there is a trans solenoid issue or engine issue, and you should have gotten a CEL(check engine light), not always but if there are any issue with engine or trans you should always see if there are any codes in memory.

All automatics need 2 transmission coolers regardless of what the vehicle is used for.
Radiator trans cooler was added by manufacturers so trans doesn't burn up on test drives, while THEY still own the vehicle.
2nd trans cooler is added so trans doesn't burn up when you own it.

Last edited:

juice90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron. Not sure if my Mazda has a speed sensor on the axle. Don't recall seeing one, but the again I never really looked.

Issue is, with mine, I believe the valve body gasket is blown, and I have been rather lazy to change it. Getting a shift flair between 2nd and 3rd gear. I have been pretty careful on how I drive it, until I do fix it. I don't mash down on the throttle when accelerating and watch for the flair to happen, and back off the gas when it shifts to 3rd, to minimize it.

Last 2 weeks tho, its been acting up more, and reving higher, and not going into OD, as well as the OD light has flashed at me twice now.

But for the most part it has been fine. Haven't lost reverse, and the shifts up or down haven't been too harsh. Gaskets are going in this weekend. The only trans I found used, near me has approx. 60,000 kms on it, and is 650 bucks, with 3 month warrenty. New rebuilt/reman in Canada is 2500 bucks, and USA prices about 5 or 600 cheaper.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals