• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

post winter problems long post please input :(

expotrek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
So late last fall I changed the plugs on my 89 4x4 and while re-installing the upper intake I over torqued the front two bolts and cracked the intake, so it sat all winter. this spring i bought an upper off ebay, installed a new FPR while i was at it and now it runs like poo. It has a terrible idle, real lopy. It wants to stall when i go to stop after its been running for a while, and the check engine light comes on after about 10 minutes of driving but resets as soon as the truck is turned off. Its been getting poor gas mileage like 10-12 but seems to have plenty of power (for a 4-banger) going down the road.

On to what i've checked, I pulled each plug wire one at a time with the "starting" coil completly unplugged and really no difference between cylinders. The plugs looked find a nice brown/orange tinge to the insulator, all reasonably match. I lack the tools to do a proper fuel pressure check but with the engine running it has a nice solid blast, i just changed the fuel pump last summer, but with the engine off its little more than a dribble, even after key on key off priming.

So I'm leaning towards a leaking fuel injector.... Mainly because of the no pressure with the engine off, the lopey idle, and the fact that it seems normal with the throttle cracked, also sometimes its hard starting untill i open the throttle a little bit, but then it smells super rich. So is there anything i can try short of shelling out $$$ for new injectors. any input would be greatly appreciated TIA

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals