• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Keep replacing front brakes!

gertsdsbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
So i have a 1986 ford ranger and I have to replace the front brakes every two months cuz they start squeaking. I hate squeaky cars so could it be that my rear brakes aren't working properly and my front ones are doing all the work. What can it be and how can i fix it? Yeah i know it should be in another area but theres more people here.lol Thanks Guys.

sbsumerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
are the front brakes acually wearing that much to where they hit the squel tab or it might just be a squek from unlubricated pads like where the tabs that are on each end of the pad that sit in the caliper. try using some brake lube grease i dont know the proper name for it on those tabes on other areas where there is metal contact on the back of the bad.

gertsdsbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
They get glazed and start squeaking srry for leaving this part of crucial info. Thanks

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So i have a 1986 ford ranger and I have to replace the front brakes every two months cuz they start squeaking. I hate squeaky cars so could it be that my rear brakes aren't working properly and my front ones are doing all the work. What can it be and how can i fix it? Yeah i know it should be in another area but theres more people here.lol Thanks Guys.
Alot of disc brakes squeek. They have a lube for breaks at the auto store, it goes on the outside metal parts not the pads LOL. My expedition went through brakes pretty quick because the lines were old and collapsed.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not saying you don't have a problem, but having squeaky brakes is not abnormal and doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. As already mentioned, I would get some of the lube they try to sell you when you buy brake pads at the auto parts store. It only cost about $1.
Your pads should only need to be replaced if they're worn way down, and I don't see that happening in 2 months. What shape are your rotors in? And your front brakes are going to do most of the work anyway, regardless of whether you have drums or discs in the rear.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what kinda pads are you using too, your cheaper pads from crapzone and shitboys are known for being squeaky, a good set of pads from someone like wagner or monroe are less likely to make noise and are also extremely low on the amount of dust they produce, i run monroes on the bII and i love them, no noise and they stop those 33s good

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Something is not right up front. Even with my cheap factory Jeep pads went 140k before I had to do any brake work up front ( I know different car). Had many RBV without any brake problem up front either.
Dave

gertsdsbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
I just checked them and the pad that has the clips were gone. The pads have two small sheets of metal and usually one of them is gone. I'll make sure to check out that lube. Thanks for all the responses.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
what kinda pads are you using too, your cheaper pads from crapzone and shitboys are known for being squeaky, a good set of pads from someone like wagner or monroe are less likely to make noise and are also extremely low on the amount of dust they produce, i run monroes on the bII and i love them, no noise and they stop those 33s good
Wagner or Monroe good pads?

Try Bendix or Bosch as "good" pads.

Are you machining the rotors or just slapping a set of pads on it?

rangerbert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got a set of semi-metallic pads from Autozone. They don't squeak at all. I was told that the ceramic pads squeaked this came from an employee that work there that changed out his to ceramic pads on his ranger.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wagner or Monroe good pads?

Try Bendix or Bosch as "good" pads.

Are you machining the rotors or just slapping a set of pads on it?
bendix are good pads too, never had bosch, wagner and monroe are good pads i have had both and sell them quiet often here at the store and have zero complaints about them, i like bendix but dont like there warranty process. just curious why you would ? wagner and monroes, i have never had a problem with either

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok causes of brake squeal. One pads vibrating, from bad caliper hardware, or ant rattle clips for pads. Overheating front pads from sticking caliper, bad hose, or something else hydraulic holding pressure, or from back brakes bieng too far out of adjustment causeing front brakes to do waay more that thier fare share of the work. And lastly cheap pads.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I thought ceramic pads caused excessive wear on the stock rotors. True/false?
They do, ceramic pads are usually used with higher quality rotors. But at the same time if the pads last longer and rotors are the only thing you replace it might be cheaper, I always change rotors when I do pads, unless Im broke.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
They do, ceramic pads are usually used with higher quality rotors. But at the same time if the pads last longer and rotors are the only thing you replace it might be cheaper, I always change rotors when I do pads, unless Im broke.
My dad had alot of problems with his Saturns pads. We went through 3 sets of rotors on the same pads, and the pads still looked like freakin new (I'm dead serious), the inner pads were a little thinner but still had 70% of them left. We decided to get cheaper pads with the new rotors for the 4th time.

$16 set of pads < $40 apiece of rotor

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals