• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 FX4 Lift Options

DaveyFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure this question has been asked many times around here but I can't seem to find any information within the search function.

I'm looking to lift my 2008 FX4. I'm not an avid off-roader but I do want some extra height to allow for some bigger, wider rubber (33") to fill out those big stock fender flares.

What components will I need to replace to allow for this? What are some good brands to go with?

Please be gentle, I'm a truck noob.

Thanks!

DSFD505

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Stock you can run 33x10.50's and some have run 33x12.50s. Crank up the T-bars some to raise the front end for clearance. Body lift is the cheapest option and can fit 33x12.50's fine. If you haven't already check out the sticky on the topics page.

GB4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Only suspension option is a Superlift 4". Only reasonable option at least...

DSFD505

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Only suspension option is a Superlift 4". Only reasonable option at least...
Yeah keyword being reasonable. I just looked at the Dixon Bros kit and didn't realize just how expensive it is.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
MAXED bars on a 08+ will allow for 33x10.50 with minimal rub or 33x12.50 with much more rub.....and those stats are not taking into account flexing or off roading..strictly street. '08+'s sit 1.5" lower than '07 and earlier torsion bar models....I'd first swap in a '07 and older torsion key and get that thing proper. You'll gain 1.5-2" up front and is completely safe and all factory parts being used and everything is compatible. The mod is called the PreKey Mod. Search it...tons of info on it that i've posted.

Truck posted below....even after the bodylift and a very conservative crank, trimming the valence was needed to clear the tire.

Here's a '08 XLT 4x4 with prekey + 2 turns, 3" bodylift, and 33x12.50's on 15x8 w/ 4" backspace....

Same setup BEFORE prekey mod with 2 full turns of the bar adjustment bolt..

And here's a little reminder of how this truck started life....

Last edited:

marccus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought a 3" torsion key and rear leaf kit from fat bobs garage, went pretty smoth,just unbolt the shock at the bottom at the lower control arm.much easier. i am running 285/75r16" mud terrains. the only things are that it rides like a shopping cart when you touch the suspension(without spending big$),but sometimes these are the things you have to deal with when you want to look cool. i also bought a 3" body lift for it, eventhough it is for an 06. I use mine for off road,load it up with wood, haul a trailer, sometimes it rubs, but not often.

Last edited:

DSFD505

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I had 33x12.50 Big Horns mounted on 15x10 MT wheels with 4 inch backspace with only t-bars cranked. That required some trimming on fender flares that is only visible when looking in the fender well. Even then if you didn't know what you were looking for you wouldn't notice. The only other rubbing was on the black plastic that the Sports and FX4's have below the painted section of the bumper. This is only for street and not offroad.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
What components will I need to replace to allow for this? What are some good brands to go with?
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42452

Least expensive would be to go to a Ford dealer, order some '06-and-earlier torsion bar keys, crank enough to level it, and put on a body lift. Cost about $230 plus installation. That will fit 33's. Your only issue will be the front tow hooks.

Otherwise, get the earlier torsion bar keys and the Superlift kit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals