• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

It has begun! (Official Trucks! TV 4.6L Mazda B-Series / Ford Ranger build)

kttrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We've finally got our project truck. a black 2001 Mazda B2500 2wd single cab. The drivetrane is the engine/trans from an 03 Marauder. It will be the first show of the new season, but I'm not sure when it will air... I'll keep all posted on air dates when we have them. we're facing the typical obstacles- IE Headers, engine mounts, trans crossmember location, driveshaft but honestly it's not gonna be that difficult to do.

Thanks for a great site to look up info and see other people doing the same type of swap. I personally believe that the 4.6 rout is the way to go, and the more of us do the swap the more support there will be in the aftermarket.

More later,

KT.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
KT,
Trans crossmember shouldn't have to change locations, just use the trans mount plate from a Mark VIII. Your stock Ranger/B2500 driveshaft should also work, just need to change the yoke.

Can't wait to see the show. Hopefully I have cable by then.:sad:

sparky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
What show and what channel? I would like to see it.

kttrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Greg! We thought we were gonna have a solid donor MK VIII Rollover victim but they found out we were "TV" and the price went out of control. They forgot that were also "CABLE" and almost broke! LOL! Ended up going with a salvage Marauder engine/trans. Actually we slotted a couple of holes on the trans crossmember and slid it foreword about an inch (collectively) and it put us right where we wanted the engine. Fits relatively snugly against the firewall. We opted for doing a little releif work on the left side firewall and keep it back as much as possible to make room for stock cooling. ( which will be barely adequate... it's temporary and just for "Phase 1")

Exhaust is the next challenge... I've got a couple of 04 Cobra manifolds to see if they'll work ( I know... probably not...) since the OP Marauder cast manifolds bulge at the wrong place on the left bank and impede the steering shaft severely.

The ironic thing is that we'll build "Phase 1" before the shows for the 2010 season even start to air... probably around April... so we'll all have to wait to see the finished deal. We're still on a shooting schedule that has us wrapped up and driving it mid Jan. :) :headbang:

Maybe you can get cable by April? IF not I'll send you a DVD LOL!

How close is yours to being done?

KT.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
How close is yours to being done?
Mine has been done for about 2-1/2 years, although it's been disassembled and put back together since then.

I tried some '97 Cobra exhaust manifolds. The driver side one fit but the outlet pointed right at the frame. The passenger side manifold wouldn't fit no matter how big of a hammer I used.

Good luck with yours. I hope you make your dead line.

kttrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Another question Greg........ who's rear mounted fuel tank did you use? also, what fuel delivery system and how is it regulated. We're doing ours in two phazes... keeping the midship tank for the first basic swap, then g oing to rear mounted tank for weight transfer and exhaust room, along with lowering and other custom stuff...

Thanks agian for your help! BTW, I am in awe of the electronic challenge that you rose to in amting the two systems..... I have to say that we're going a different rout and using somebody's system that's designed for 4V modular swaps. It's brand new and essentially does the same thing that you have done, but with very simple connections. I am looking foreword to telling people about some of the innovations we have the chance to see in our line of work.

KT>

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
The fuel tank I used was the rear auxiliry tank from a '85 Ranger. Once you remove the spare tire carrier from the newer trucks, the older aux tank and all it's brackets bolt right in. I believe they were available from '83-'87. There are two different tanks, one for EFI and one for carb setups.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Is that Kevin Teitz I see? Cool. Welcome to TRS!

kttrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes! I see another lunatic from the Great White North is putting stupid power in an RBV.... cheers! We opted for modular just to up the pain-in the ass factor... and to have something to build on with a solid forced induction package that's factory developed and proven. with My Co-hosts driving skills and cred we should be able to turn some good lap times a any given autocross or street challenge event.

Thanks for the welcome... more details to come as we have them. We're off the project for a week or so until after the holidays... then back at it hardcore to get it up and running.

Later,

KT.

Last edited:

chord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't seen any new episodes for a while. how's the dodge/ford project coming along?

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Great to have you on Kevin!Loved the paintucation website.
I went the lazy way with a carb (or 2 at first) with a 302.

A lot of good info and willing to help people on this little site.

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Another question Greg........ who's rear mounted fuel tank did you use? also, what fuel delivery system and how is it regulated. We're doing ours in two phazes... keeping the midship tank for the first basic swap, then g oing to rear mounted tank for weight transfer and exhaust room, along with lowering and other custom stuff...

Thanks agian for your help! BTW, I am in awe of the electronic challenge that you rose to in amting the two systems..... I have to say that we're going a different rout and using somebody's system that's designed for 4V modular swaps. It's brand new and essentially does the same thing that you have done, but with very simple connections. I am looking foreword to telling people about some of the innovations we have the chance to see in our line of work.

KT>
I am also using the midship tank. I ran a return back and am going to use the existing rail mounted regualtor. Also had to modify the pump assy. in the tank some to incorporate the return line. The PCM controls the voltage to the fuel pump on mine, but should be able to shut that off via software.

Last edited:

kttrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Johnny are you the guy with the Charcoal Grey B2500? are you going to use a different fuel pump? I'm not sure what we're goingto do with the first stage, but we're switching to a Cobra system for the blown 4.6 We'll probably just replace the module in the tank to a higher flow rate pump (Marauder spec...)

K.

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Johnny are you the guy with the Charcoal Grey B2500? are you going to use a different fuel pump? I'm not sure what we're goingto do with the first stage, but we're switching to a Cobra system for the blown 4.6 We'll probably just replace the module in the tank to a higher flow rate pump (Marauder spec...)

K.
Yup that's me. I used the stock Mark VIII pump on the Mazda pick-up sendor/ assy.

BTW welcome and good luck with the project!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals