• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing the brakes on my 02 Ranger

hankbarrelchest

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi all,

I have a 2002 2WD Ranger (Edge edition) and the brakes all around have just about had it. The front rotors are warped and too far gone to be turned, and the back brake drums and shoes need replacing as well. Now, I've done a bit of wrenching before and I'm not afraid to spend a Saturday in the garage getting things done - I enjoy the learning experience after all the smashed thumbs and cursing is over with.

That said, how big of a job will it be to do this? I know that for the front rotors, I have to remove the grease cap, cotter pin, bearings, etc. I'm planning on putting in new bearings, plus the rotors and pads. I only have experience changing the pads a few times.

For the rear drums and rotors, this is new territory. Are there a lot of adjustments to be done once the new parts are on?

I don't have access to a full suite of tools - mostly what you'd find in the average joe's toolbox, though I know that most auto parts places will lend out the speciality tools.

Will I be getting in too far over my head? I found a decent mechanic who will do the work, I'd just rather save the $$$ and enjoy get my hands dirty. ("A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing")

Thanks in advance...

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i just changed the wheel bearings on my 4wd '88 b2 yesterday, its not that hard. you might need a snap wrench but other than that getting the rotor off is no problem. If you want to change the races however you either need a press or take it to a shop, theyre probably fine though, mine were.

rear drum brakes dont have rotors, im not sure but i dont think you resurface drum brakes. just read the manual and remember where all the springs go and you will be fine. the only tools required to do drums are just socket to get the wheel off, hammer, pair of vice grips or pliers and i think thats it. you will most likely have to hammer the outer cover off, it rusts onto the axle, dont be afraid to hit it hard, you wont hurt anything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals