• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does anyone know....

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Roughly what the MPG would be of a 97-06 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0 and a 5sp, assuming its stock?

I know, off the wall and a long shot. Dont ask why im asking :)

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Mid to high teens, might do 20 with a hard top on the highway. I rented an 04' on a trip to maine and think I remember it getting like 15 doing a mix of highway and city with a few trail trips. They are light, but they are as aerodynamic as a brick wall.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Mid to high teens, might do 20 with a hard top on the highway. I rented an 04' on a trip to maine and think I remember it getting like 15 doing a mix of highway and city with a few trail trips. They are light, but they are as aerodynamic as a brick wall.

Thats kinda what i was figureing. I googled it and was reading anywhere from 11-22. I know there rated for a combined EPA average of 17.

Thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My wife's step sister has one in that setup, and she gets anywhere from 17-20. It seems like depends a lot on the week, and where she bought gas. Stations around here can vary that ethanol percentage pretty wildly, and some weeks she drives all highway to school and back, some weeks she just puts around town to her job.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Why are you asking? Just had to ask

bruker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had an '00 4.0 5-speed several years ago and the mpg's you hearing here are pretty much correct. I switched to a Ranger because it's more useful but the Wrangler was more fun.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Why are you asking? Just had to ask
Cause, if rusty #2 keeps failing to live up to the reliabilty bar of rusty #1 im going to be shopping for a daily driver.

Yes, i know about all the "bad" wrangler qualites from a jeep forum i signed up on. None of it sounds to bad to me.

I had it narrowed down to another colorado or a wrangler. Really leaning toward the jeep.

However this all hinges on how the latest round of repairs go to rusty 2.0.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Make sure you get one of those adorable "It's a jeep thing" stickers and the upside down "if you can read this roll me over". Also it is mandatory to mount as many LED light pods on it as humanly possible. Then you will officially be a jeeper and can drive down the road giving weird waves to other jeep owners in a silent acknowledgement of your terrible decision. :haha:

Admittedly at least you're smart enough to know to stay pre-2007. Good lord it's like every Chrysler engineer came down with a sudden case of brain damage in 2007 and they haven't cured it yet. The old 4.0's were about as bullet proof as you can get though. Working on my buddies 2008 3.8 is pretty much a mandatory weekend event.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Make sure you get one of those adorable "It's a jeep thing" stickers and the upside down "if you can read this roll me over". Also it is mandatory to mount as many LED light pods on it as humanly possible. Then you will officially be a jeeper and can drive down the road giving weird waves to other jeep owners in a silent acknowledgement of your terrible decision. :haha:

Admittedly at least you're smart enough to know to stay pre-2007. Good lord it's like every Chrysler engineer came down with a sudden case of brain damage in 2007 and they haven't cured it yet. The old 4.0's were about as bullet proof as you can get though. Working on my buddies 2008 3.8 is pretty much a mandatory weekend event.
Oh it happened way before 07. Some of the 4.0s in the last few years they were made had a knock issue. You could stick a drop light down cylinder 3 and see if in cylinders 2 and 4 because the walls were so thin.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oh it happened way before 07. Some of the 4.0s in the last few years they were made had a knock issue. You could stick a drop light down cylinder 3 and see if in cylinders 2 and 4 because the walls were so thin.
That should be equivalent to defacing a national monument. Our old 77 4.0 would probably still run if someone dug it out of the swamp it was burried in 20 years ago... I never new chrylser screwed with them besides adding fuel injection. I know it was originally an AMC engine back in the 60's and 70's and then chrysler stole it.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bantam, Willys, Kaiser, AMC, Diamler Chrysler... what happened to them?

Jeep. :icon_rofl:

If it is any consolation the grille everyone is so proud of was designed by Ford during WWII. :icon_thumby:

I do like the TJ's though but I am afraid it would be a moth and bugzapper kind of relationship though. :fie:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That should be equivalent to defacing a national monument. Our old 77 4.0 would probably still run if someone dug it out of the swamp it was burried in 20 years ago... I never new chrylser screwed with them besides adding fuel injection. I know it was originally an AMC engine back in the 60's and 70's and then chrysler stole it.

That woulda been the 4.2. Not sure if they are the same motor or not.

Dont worry...i was prepared for the hate :thefinger:

What would be worse though? The wrangler or a colorado?

Or....*gasp* a challenger. Although, i cant really justify that one to the wife.

Also, admittadly, my first jeep choice would be a CJ 5/7 with a 304 and a 4speed, but...once again the wife said nothing older then 97 :/

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They were trying to save weight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals