• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How bad did I screw up - 14" to 16" rims

Faust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2WD 1998 Ranger I bought off the government with very low miles and no rust. It is stock stock stock. It has these tiny wheels with krusty old Korean tires and it rides in a way that nothing conceived in Dearborn should.

Have any of you put 16" 235/70R16 on a 2WD stock Ranger

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The wheels you got are 16X7?

If so, 235/70R16 tires will fit great on there. 235/70R16 should be about 29" in diameter, so they should fit fine. I would run a tape measure from the center of your current wheel/tire outwards to see how much bigger they will be.

275/70R16 is more like 31" in diameter and would probably be a bit too big for your truck.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
yeah, that... they would fit fine but look at the door tag on the truck, find the axle code and look that up in the tech library (in the axle section somewhere there is a list of door tag codes) to find the ratio of the rear axle. A lot of the 2wd trucks that had 14" wheels seemed to get 3.08:1 gears from the factory to turn the small tires faster, if your truck has that then going that tall will be hard on the clutch (if manual) or hard on the trans starting from a stop, if it's 3.45 or 3.73 I don't think I would worry about that too much.

Another thing to consider is the speedometer, if you go to a taller tire the speedo/odo will be off, take the height/diameter of the new tire and divide it by the height/diameter of the stock tire and you will get a relatively close multiplier for the speedometer, IE take the number you got, multiply it by the speed the speedometer says and you will get the speed you are actually going. This can be corrected but I have yet to look into how to do that yet on the newer Rangers...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals