• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 t stat question

BARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
installing new motor in 96 ranger cannot decide witch t stat to use 192 degrees or 180 the truck will be off road mostly in the summer and would like to make sure it does not over heat on trail

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Go with the OEM 192. You will get less engine wear, less contaminates in the oil, and better MPG. If it has a problem (like a blocked radiator) using a 180 isn't going to keep it from overheating.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Mr Ayers is right....the thermostat just ensures the engine isn't TOO COOL (unless it malfunctions).

BARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
what about the flex a lite electric fan will that free up horse power and cool properly

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
EVERY RBV I've seen had VERY capable stock cooling systems. You could perhaps save a little power and mileage with an electric fan (provided it's properly wired in), but as to when it paid for itself in mileage, good luck.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
what about the flex a lite electric fan will that free up horse power and cool properly
He said he didn't want it to over heat. NO e-fan will have the cooling capacity of the OEM mechanical! And, the mechanical fan is far more
reliable.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
I agree, the stock Ranger cooling sys seems A-OK with plenty of "margin". I've been off-road in S. AZ, 118 degrees outside, 4-Low, A/C on, stereo blaring, steep grade climbing, and the temp gauge stays where it always is, mid-range. Ergo, if I replaced anything, it'd be an EXACT replacement.

NO e-fan will have the cooling capacity of the OEM mechanical!
While installing an e-fan on a Ranger seems like the proverbial "solution looking for a (non-existent) problem", and not something I'd ever do, you can't categorically state that some e-fans won't move more CFMs than the OEM belt-drive... of course if the mondo e-fan requires a larger alternator to drive it, that would be a clue-by-4 that you're going overboard, and doing a mod just because it "sounds cool"... no pun intended.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals