• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Horsepower out of a 3.0?

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Where E fans are concerned....How does one go about installing the needed wiring for the sake of A/C?

When one engages the A/C on a factory equipped vehicle the PCM controls the fan/fans, the fan would be engaged when motionless or at low speed but when the vehicle begins to move fast enough the PCM disengages the fans because they are no longer needed. The PCM in this this truck does not have that capability.

I've considered this myself for the same reason (minor HP gain & and to not hear the annoying wind/drone at start up) but haven't got around this hurdle.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The most common method of control for an e-fan on a vehicle that didn't come with one originally is buying a separate controller and temp probe. The temp probe is inserted so that it can record the coolant temp, and the fan is triggered on/off when the coolant temp dictates it. You could also incorporate a manual switch, or nearly any other control method depending on your electrical skillset. If you want the e-fan running when A/C is on, I'm sure it would be possible to wire it up so that the e-fan comes on anytime the HVAC controls are in the "A/C" position. You'd really have to do a ton of idling with the AC on for it to be worth it though.

Last edited:

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
I have mine currently setup to only run when the the A/C compressor clutch is engaged. A relay kicks the fan on and is activated by the power wire going to the A/C compressor. I did this as a temp measure 2 years ago when my fan controller failed and it's worked so well I haven't bought another controller. (when in stop and go traffic, I have to put it on defrost or A/C to make sure the temp gauge doesn't start to creep up) When it's hot out, I'm running the A/C anyway, so the fan is running and the engine is staying nice and cool.

You want an E-fan to kick on with the A/C so the condenser doesn't get too hot and fubar the system.

Another benefit of the e-fan is noise. One doesn't realize how much noise the stock fan makes until it's gone. The truck is much quieter at speeds below 35-40mph.

Cooling isn't an issue. The fan on my truck pulls 1600cfm and keeps the truck plenty cool, even when towing 3k+ lbs in 100+ degree heat.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you are building an automotive electrical system from scratch you would of course include an e-fan on with AC circuit, and also wouldn't install a condenser e-fan

But why would you want e-fan to come on with AC?
Because engine load is increased and condenser in front of radiator will heat up with AC compressor on.

If converting mechanical fan vehicle to e-fan the condenser will already have it's own e-fan if needed, if it doesn't then mechanical fan was fine.
Mechanical fan clutch is operated by Radiator heat, not engine heat, it engages fan more as the center of the radiator heats up, so will always be behind actual engine temp.
Nothing at all wrong with that, just pointing it out.

Converting to e-fan allows you temp control and manual on/off as you see fit.
If you do mudding and/or water crossings having an e-fan OFF switch is great, lol, engine bay stays alot cleaner, and drier.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Ron:

as stated ( for my personal purposes) to kill the howl that the fan gives off when the engine first fires up, after approx 10 secs the fan noise begins.

For the A/C one needs the fan engaged when the vehicle is motionless or moving slowly, but the fan is not needed when the vehicle is at speed to cool the condenser.

What I am looking for is a controller that can intercept the vehicles speed so as to disengage the fan when it's not necessary to spin.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals