• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

factory air intake tube differences? 1996

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 1996 3.0 ranger. its a early 96 build (if memory serves, build date is 10/95).

the oem air intake tube going to the throttle body is cracked up and I went to the u-pull to get a different one. they had another 96 3.0 ranger there but the intake tube is shaped differently.

mine is sorta flattened out along the core support. the one at the yard was round the entire length. I took a pic of it to compare when I'm home but were there changes throughout the model year?

will an explorer 4.0 intake tube fit as well? I didnt really look the one over in the yard to careful since it immediately looked different.

another thing that was weird was that the heater control valve on my 96 is a dual pipe setup while the one on the 96 in the yard simply tapped into only one of the heater hoses from what I can tell. I'm wondering if I can convert to that one as it seems there is less to crack/fail on that type.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The 4.0L, from what I have seen uses a larger tube and a larger MAF and probably a larger throttle body opening.

I have done some "rigging" on my 3.0L to get the bigger(?) 4.0L air filter box mounted in the front right corner of my engine bay. I found that the larger MAF won't work right. I have a temporary hybrid tube right now that I want to make better. It is part 3.0L tube and part 4.0L tube. I didn't like the middle section of the 3.0L tube that, on my truck, was 2 funky little tubes molded side-by-side. I feel sure I am getting more air flow now. Plus, I will be mounting an air compressor where the old air box was. My truck is a '93.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 3.0 polished stainless steel tube on mine, from the MAF to the throttle body, from the MAC air intake kit. Works awesome.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I have a 3.0 polished stainless steel tube on mine
That is WAAAAY too fancy-schmancy for me. My cobbled-up rig right now is sealed with black duct tape at the joints. :icon_twisted:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My choptop has 3" black ABS pipe for the intake.... the 4.0 intake I had had a few holes and the other intake I had was from an Explorer with a round air box. I had some random extra pipe and a couple Fernco fittings, so....

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Visiting the in laws tonight and heading to the u-pull near them early in the morning. They have about 20 rangers there so I'm hoping to find the same intake tube there. If not....does the round 3.0 tubes fit as well or is there a reason they went from the flattish one like I have to the completely round ones? Maybe relocation of the mad filter housing?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That is WAAAAY too fancy-schmancy for me. My cobbled-up rig right now is sealed with black duct tape at the joints. :icon_twisted:
Old picture. Looks a bit different now. But still, the 3.0 engine compartment looks so dang full. Thinking about removing all the AC stuff since it hasn't worked for years. That'll clean it up some.

No longer have the separate filter for the crankcase ventilation. It caused the lean codes to pop up. When I first did that, I wasn't to into all the computerized stuff. Just an old fashioned hot rodder learning new things. ;-)

Also have new longer sleeves on the tube with T-bar style clamps. Those old blue ones got rock hard on me during the four years my sister drove the truck.

Here is the truck in 2009. Now it doesn't have them yuge downturns on the pipes, they are just square cut tips. And the entire front end is black now, bumper, fascia, hood and wiper cowl area. And I typically have a full front end bra on her as well. Tail lights are European to match the head lights and corner lights. Leather bed cover and Lund Backdraft tail gate spoiler. And lest I forget, the rear tires are 255/60-15 and the front are 205/70-15. That's not the case in this pic.

Last edited:

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
got a new (156k) intake tube from the upull by the inlaws. excellent condition, just dirty. apparently this particular tube only came on 3.0 engines from late 94 to mid 96 before they redid the maf housing (there were enough rangers there that I was able to "deduce" this lol).

anyway, its done yay!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals