• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a few problems im having with my 3.0

OMFG nick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
rockin' the 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
so i've got a 2004 3.0 ranger. well a whillleeeeee back the cam synchronizer went bad (as im sure we've all experienced) well after a couple months of pinpointing that it was infact the synchronizer and not the sensor; i started researching how to replace this fabulous little contraption. well then one morning someone hit my truck in front of my house so i had to send it out to a shop for 2 weeks. well i get it back and it doesnt make the chirping anymore. then about a month after i get it out of the shop, i would be driving it and just really quick, it would do it. Like chirp, chirp, chirp, gone. Freaking houdini. Then i didnt hear it for a week or so. And driving home tonight it was just chirp chirping all the way home. Is it normal for this kind of thing to just come and go? And even if it goes away again, should i just bite the bullet and replace the syncro shaft with a motorcraft one for $130 (i hear the cardone one is shit)?

On another note i got an engine code, p0455. One of the possible problems on the auto zone print out sheet was a large vacuum leak, so naturally i check my vacuum lines for holes, cracks, or any possible leaking air. And im not sure if it was me bumping stuff with my arm but there was this little tube going from the intake tube to the passenger side valve cover that appeared loose. So i reconnected it and disconnected the battery to clear the code. Could this have been the cause of the code, or should i just be prepared for it to pop back up?

And last but not least; theres been a ticking coming from my motor for quite sometime and has become rather annoying. Its really just a strong tick from the motor. It does react with acceleration. but I've yet to use the stethoscope to pinpoint it. Any ideas?

prerunin13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well this is a crappy problem to have. But the good news is I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!! I replaced both the sensor and sync with motorcraft and still have the chirping after its warm. So annoying. I also have no idea the prob but feel better knowing someone else has the same deal. I will report if I ever figure it out,and hopefully you will do the same?

basketranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
belt tensioner

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah my tensioner made that noise changed it out and no more chirping:)

OMFG nick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
rockin' the 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
as for the cam sync, it was still doing it again so i put the stethoscope to it and was 100% sure that was it. Its a newer ranger, so the magnet on the sensor is built into the cap unlike the older models. well i took the cap off and figured if its broke its broke i might as well try this just for shits and giggles. I sprayed wd-40 into the open assembly and let it seep down the sync for about an hour. Went back put the sensor back, started it, and walah! havent heard the sound for about a week or so. lets hope it stays. probably not a permanent fix, but temp. is fine for me.

prerunin13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I suppose I can try that as well. As far as the tensioner I still have the chirp without the belt on as well.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
And last but not least; theres been a ticking coming from my motor for quite sometime and has become rather annoying. Its really just a strong tick from the motor. It does react with acceleration. but I've yet to use the stethoscope to pinpoint it. Any ideas?

I know that tick it sounds like a spark plug voltage leak, but its not. My truck has done it from the day I got it 77,000 miles, and after 2 torque converters, 1 4r44e trans, 2 7.5 rear ends, 2 compleate tuneups, 1 3.0 rebuild, and 226.000 miles later its still there. just live with it, I have replaced everything in the damn engine bay, but out of necessity not trying to find the tick.

GOOD LUCK

OMFG nick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
rockin' the 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
the ticking isnt my main concern, its more of a neuicance. My biggest concern is the cam sync, but now its quiet. And even though its quiet, im in fear something with it is going to F up and i'll be screwed =(

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
ypu should replace it. I have the auto zone unit in mine, and I have no problems.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals