• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My MAF sensor only has one screw, can it be removed without removing the body

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
On my 94 Ranger 3.0 the MAF sensor is attached to the aluminum body with one security torx screw and some stud thingy with plastic in the center. I was thinking of cleaning it. Can it be taken off without removing the aluminum body it's attached to for cleaning?
I read this (awesome) article:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/CleanMAF.html
But, that one has the attachment with 2 torx screws so the sensor can be removed and the elements are exposed.

Then there's this post on an aerostar on the eplorerforum which looks a lot like the setup I have:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2517380

Maybe that's it.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
The "stud" is actually another torx screw with a drip of plastic in it so when your vehicle gets inspected they know if you tinkered with the MAF. It turns with a pair of pliers or if you're ambitious you can pick out the plastic. Otherwise, typically you don't need to remove the filament/sensor assembly to clean it.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks James86:
> typically you don't need to remove the filament/sensor assembly to clean it.
Does this mean that it's better to just pull the whole thing off with the body and clean it that way?
I guess I should just ask, how do I clean it?
Do I really have to clean it if I'm not throwing any codes and always run a clean, stock air filter?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks James86:
> typically you don't need to remove the filament/sensor assembly to clean it.
Does this mean that it's better to just pull the whole thing off with the body and clean it that way?
I guess I should just ask, how do I clean it?
Do I really have to clean it if I'm not throwing any codes and always run a clean, stock air filter?
I would remove it as instructed above. You buy a can of MAF cleaner for $6. make sure you clean it when it is cool. then let it dry before reinstalling. DO NOT LET ANYTHING BUT THE SPRAY TOUCH THE FILAMENT.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I took off the whole maf and removed that little cover inside the MAF to expose both sides of the chute that the filaments sit in. I sprayed twice with MAF cleaner, waited 5 minutes, sprayed twice, waited 5 minutes, and waited 20 minutes for it to dry. Then I put it back together and reinstalled. Took a total of a little over 30 minutes which was mostly spent doing other stuff while waiting. After 127K, there was no visible dirt or residue on the filaments or in the body tube.
Result? No change in anything which is good and bad. Nothing was really wrong before so no harm, no foul.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i took a pair of pliers, broke it loose, then took my dremmel and cut a slot in the head for a flat head screwdriver so next time i only need simple tools to clean it

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
That seems like it would totally work. But, removing it with the body only took a few minutes and the one thing I liked about that is that the tube in the body that surrounds the filaments protects it from me touching it or damage by dropping it.
Anyway, it didn't do crap. I'm pretty sure it didn't require cleaning. At least it didn't break.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals