• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How many miles can this engine run?

ranger-runner-007

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey im thinkin about buying a 95 ranger with 190,000 miles is that too many? I know they are good engines but how much longer can i trust it?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my friends '99 has 240,000, doesnt burn oil, still runs like new. my '95 only has only 85,000 still runs like new. depends how well taken care of.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Engine?

That's a lot of miles, but they will last longer if taken care of. What kind of price are you looking at. That alone can be a big factor in whether or not it's a good deal for that mileage.

michowski

Reaction score
The motor can last 500,000 miles IF properly maitenced. The key thing is IF the motor was MAITENCED. Regular oil changes, tune up at scheduled intervals, that kind of stuff.

ranger-runner-007

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah the guys dad is a mechanic for a living and he has had it since it had a hundred thousand miles so i figure it could last a while.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
asking how long a motor will last is like asking how long a light bulb will last...theres just no way to know.

if the trucks cheap enough, then buy it. if the motor lasts, great. if not, you can get a used one from a junkyard for $300.

westonoto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 99 ranger 4wd 3.0 has 190k miles on it with no engine difficulties at all, other than the poor mileage it has had since brand new. I have kept up with basic maintenance and have replaced the ignition wires once. This truck has been used as a work truck and often carries and/or tows heavy loads of firewood. Spends a lot of time in 4wd carrying loads also. My only suggestion is to avoid those multi-electrode spark plugs, they don't seem to stand up to heavy load situations very well. No oil burning at all and I have only dropped about 1 mpg over it's life so far.

I also have a 99 taurus and a 99 sable both with the 3.0 vulcan engine. The taurus has 280k and the sable 210k. Again, neither has had any engine work except basic maintenance. The taurus is finally burning some oil, but only about 1/2 quart at oil change time.

Like others have mentioned, even if your motor pooches early, if the price of the truck is right, 3.0 engines are a dime a dozen used.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals