• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II,Leaf springs, and U-bolt specifics? Help?

jtribalsun

Reaction score
Fort Campbell, KY / Clarksville,TN /Fordland, MO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've got an '89 Bronco II, 4x4, 5 speed, manual t-case, 2.9L. It's leaf springs are flat so i picked up a set of add a leafs from rough country, but i am trying to figure out what size U-bolts i need in case
I have to cut one off. and where i can get them? i've looked everywhere i can think of and can't find their exact size anywhere. i'd also like to try and find them a bit longer so i can leave the factory ones ib the stack as well. it's getting a full lift eventually, but for now i just want to fix the sag and improve it's on road handling. any info would be great!

:icon_hornsup:

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Find a shop in your area that specialize in leaf springs. They can bend U bolts to the length you need.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The size you need is 3" by 1/2" by how ever long they are.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you can't find a shop to have them made, I know of 2 in Louisville that I always buy mine from for about $40 for all 4 bolts, nuts, and washers.

jtribalsun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
hey MJONES go ahead and hit me up with that shop info. I cant find anyone around here that can get them over 7 inches long. and with those add-a-leafs and the factory leafs i'm afraid that i'll need a bit more than that. I couldn't get a chance to tear into it this weekend so i would like to try and get them shipped up here before next. Thanks!

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

stevesb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9liter rebuilt w/new heads
Transmission
Manual
You could have gotten a pair of springs from an early Explorer and put them on. And I've been told that you get roughly a 1" lift by doing it.

peracer

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rural King will have them. Looks like there is one in Clarksville and Madisonville.

Last edited:

jtribalsun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey I just got them installed, I ended up going to a shop in Springfield, MO while I was up there, I gotta give props to those guys, they measured them while they were still on the truck and I paid $28 and some change for the 4 u-bolts and nuts and washers! the shop's name is Springfield Brake and it took them about five minutes! Also I want to make a note about the rough country add-a-leafs I installed. If your B II is suffering from butt dragg like mine was (look at the pic, it was bad!!!) and you need a quick cheap solution, this is it. about $50.00 for the leafs and their hardware and less than $30 on the u-bolts brought my total to $80 plus the case of tasty beverages to enlist a buddies help, it took a couple hours and it no kidding brought my back end up over 5 inches, just over stock height and they ride great, seriously money very well spent. I guess they ride so well because the worn out springs are giving to the overly stiff add-a-leafs, so it makes a great combo, long term..... haven't a clue, but it's only a temp fix till i throw in a 4in lift after i finish the body work. give me a couple days to get a new pic of the bronco up, the difference is ridiculous! It's very worth it, especially if you can do it yourself and don't have to pay the $150 labor fee. Any questions hit me up, thanks for everyones help I freaking love this site!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals