• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions: Olds Van

firefighter525

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going tonight to look at a 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette van. It would replace our 99 Grand Prix. My buddy says its very nice but I have a few concerns. Other than being another GM product, it has around 160000 miles and has the 3.4L V6. I've never owned a vehicle with that high of mileage. I have read good reviews on the van but the 3.4L has a tendancy to develop a lower intake gasket leak which appears difficult to fix and costly for a shop to do. I will definatly be looking for signs of that. Anyone own one of these or work on one? :dunno: Like it, hate it? I'm interested in reading your opinons on these vans.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Everyone ive seen has been junk.

later,
Dustin

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I drove one around at work a while and it was alright. Not my first choice but had a lot more balls than the Town & Country that I usually drive. It had a lot of the typical GM interior issues...ie, chunks taken out of the steering wheel, broken radio, power window buttons broken, interior trim falling apart, etc... not impressive at all in that aspect.

Personally I would not buy it unless you get a REALLY good deal on it. I think there are much better vans out there and most of the ones GM made suck.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I think the 3.4 was one of the engines known for intake gaskets, along with the 3.1. If you get the upgraded gaskets and flush all the Dex-Cool out of there and put in some G-05 antifreeze, you should be ok.

firefighter525

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well the van was ok but i wasn't overly impressed with it either. The owner said he put a new head and gaskets on it and there was no sign of the gasket leak. With 162,000 miles it drove and sounded very smooth. The tranny fluid looked like motor oil on the dipstick and that concerns me.

Shran was right about the typical GM interior.The interior was pretty dirty but all the power stuff and switches worked. The glove box hinge was broke and the door fell completely off when I opened it. And some of the the rear storage compartment door hinges were almost the same. The driver seat was pretty tore up.

It also had some deer damage on the passenger side with a large dent on the front door that prevented it from being opened from the outside. Although the dents weren't creased and should pop out with some work. I talked him down to 800 cash or a possible even trade for my 1997 4x4 four wheeler. I think thats the only way I'm taking it is if he wants the 4 wheeler. I wanted to get rid of the four wheeler anyways. :D

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
if thats the same as a Pontiac Montana then it they are prone to transmission issues. my neighbor had one and he put 3 transmissions in between 100,xxx miles and 215,xxx miles........ all factory remans right from GM.......... the condition of the transmission fluid concerns me

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals