• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard starting, smells like gas

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Over the last week or so, it seemed like my truck was taking longer longer to start. It got to the point last night that I could crank it for a good 5-7 seconds, give up, try again, and it would start right up. This seems to happen mostly when the truck is cold. Also, when getting in the truck it smells strongly of gas. I don't notice it as much outside, or even in the cab, only when I'm getting in the truck. I also have a cold, though, so I have some trouble smelling anything.

This may be unrelated, but how high should the idle go on a cold start? My truck goes to 2k for a little bit then slowly settles down to around 1100-1300. It also seems to idle a little high sitting at a stop light, but still only at about 1100.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Given that it's idling a little high, I would start by cleaning out the IAC, make sure the plunger can move freely.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Long, hard, cold starts are a sign of "leaking back" which is the fuel leaking back into the fuel tank over a few hours.. Try this: First thing when the engine is cold turn the key to the run position to allow the fuel pump to charge the system..for 5 or 10 secnds.. then turn the key to the start position and see if that helped. If it did you now know why it is hard to srart in the mornings.
Big Jim

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright, I'll give that a try. If not, I'll clean the IAC. Actually, I should probably do that either way. I'll update hopefully tomorrow.

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I let the fuel pump prime for close to ten seconds, and it still took a while to start. It seemed like it was a little shorter, but not by much. Also, I noticed my coolant temp guage fluctuating a decent amount. It was moving was faster than the coolant temp could actually change though. Could this just be loose connection or is it also possibly related.

The gas smell seems to be getting stronger too, I noticed it sitting in traffic with the window open.

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As of yesterday, I started noticing a big puddle right under the driver's door. Didn't see it before because I was parked on gravel, so it blended in better. Fuel filter is rusted to hell and leaking. Replacing it today.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Good luck! I've had a few leak as well.

Let us know if that fixes your gas-smell issue, I bet it will. Also, you'll probably notice better fuel mileage. :icon_twisted:

GingerKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup, not smelling it anymore. I figured I was just smelling the puddle right underneath my door when I was sitting at stop lights. No more leaks, haven't checked mileage yet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals