• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

might buy a 3.0 anything i should know before i do?

MikeyFord3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.7L
Transmission
Automatic
just wondering what i should look for when buying a 3.0 and how to if you have anything info it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

-Mike Ford

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Man I'd sure be looking for a 4.0! If you have the time to look don't rule out the bigger engine. Both are fine engines but you get better milage and more power with the 4.0.
Big JIm

loneranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 3L in my edge and love it for the driving i do its an awsum little engine. but as already posted it likes the rpm's but use it abuse it and it wont do u wrong just do the maintainence and it will run forever. i havent had the pleasure of driving the 4.0 so i cant argue the point to much.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
we have 3 3.0L 2003 to 2004 rangers at work. so far there been ok engines, my cam sensor keeps going out, a coil packs. nothing major and thy all have over 100,000 on them now.
you have to keep the RPM's up thy hate being lugged. for a truck to take tools around we should have gotten 4.0L, more power and the same millage.

MikeyFord3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.7L
Transmission
Automatic
well i bought the truck it has a 5 speed 3.0l its a 97

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
You wont be disappointed with it. I have a 3.0L in my '97, and with 185,000 miles on the clock the motor still pull hard from 3000 till redline. The motor makes peak torque at around 3250 so keep the rpms above that if your trying to move. When my 4x4 worked (Damn auto hubs) the little 3.0 easily pulled a F-250 out of a snowy ditch (4LO in Auto 1st)

lorenambrose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
The 3.0l is a far more bullet proof enging than the 4.0. I hear a lot of people on this and other Ranger boards talk about the camshaft synchro, but I bet only 5% or less of this board have had to change one. I have only met one preson who had one squeek and he drove it for 2 YEARS like that and it has not failed yet. I have met numerous people who have had the dreaded timimg chain rattle on a 4.0, but even that is not immediate pending doom.

The 3.0l gets better mileage, but only buy about 1-2 mpg. The truck weighs the same no matter what engine is in there. Big Jim should look up the EPA numbers for each model before typing.

When you come to a board like this, you are going to hear a lot of horror stories. You need to weed through the junk to gleen the facts. I love the 3.0. The only other Ford V6that is better IMHO is the 4.0 OHV pushrod V6 that has been discontinued. It was bullet proof like the 3.0.

I have a 2003 Edge with a 3.0L FFV and an 5R44E 5 speed auto. The pair are a great match for a daily driver.

If you are looking 4x4 then I would go 4.0 for the better torque and HP.

lorenambrose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
Both are fine engines but you get better milage and more power with the 4.0.
Big JIm
Uhhhh. WRONG, but thanks for playing. Why would you lie to the guy? There is no-one but you who thinks that.

The EPA and FORD think differently.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
I changed the syncro on mine as a precaution, and I also changed the tranny fluid, full tune up, u-joints, changed to synthetic oil, new K n N air filter, new timing chain(the cover gasket was leaking so I replaced everything) new brakes, new oil pan gasket, new wheel bearing, new starter, new lower radiator hose and a bunch of other stuff and after all that I was only out less than a thousand bucks. Point of the story is that anything that needs to be done to it is pretty cheap if you have the ability to do it yourself. A shop wanted 1500 bucks to do the timing chain and I did it in 6.5 hours and was out 75 bucks in parts. Put after market exhaust on it and pull a few more ponies out of it, worked for my truck.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I never!

Uhhhh. WRONG, but thanks for playing. Why would you lie to the guy? There is no-one but you who thinks that.

The EPA and FORD think differently.
Why would I lie to anyone? I have both! I have a 3.0 4x4 and a 4.0 sohc 4x4. Both rangers are driven by three people.. Everyone agrees the 4.0 gets better milage and is much easier to drive..
Both have 4:11 gears and both are driven regularly. SCREW EPA! The milage estimates on the window sticker are for 55 mph.. WHO in the hell still drives 55?
The 3.0 has the stock size 245X16 tires and the 4.0 has the stock size 9.5x30 tires. There is a huge difference in driveability between the two vehicles. And then there is the milage factor..
That will be my last 3.0.
Big JIm:wub::hottubfun:

Skeels01

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The 91-94 3L's have the distributor, 95+ have the Cam sensor in place from the distributor was and those are prone to go out at different mileage. When they do the oil pump stops and starves the engine for oil and the engine freeze's up. Other then the 95+ cam sensor problems the 3L's can take ALOT of abuse and go for a very long time.

Is there any warning signs before the cam sensor fails? Or will I be happily driving, then all of a sudden my engine is seized?

Thanks!

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Why would I lie to anyone? I have both! I have a 3.0 4x4 and a 4.0 sohc 4x4. Both rangers are driven by three people.. Everyone agrees the 4.0 gets better milage and is much easier to drive..
Both have 4:11 gears and both are driven regularly. SCREW EPA! The milage estimates on the window sticker are for 55 mph.. WHO in the hell still drives 55?
The 3.0 has the stock size 245X16 tires and the 4.0 has the stock size 9.5x30 tires. There is a huge difference in driveability between the two vehicles. And then there is the milage factor..
That will be my last 3.0.
Big JIm:wub::hottubfun:
I think he was referring to the ohv 4.0 which really isn't that much superior to a 3.0

The sohc has quite a bit more power than the ohv 4.0, much less the 3.0.

Skeels01

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Alot of them tend to squeal like a bad belt or idler pulley when they start to go bad. If you hear a squeal or squeak listen to the rear of the engine also. They can also cause a check engine light to come on and if you see your oil gauge just drop to 0 when your driving turn off your truck right away if you can, but do it safely. Once that sensor goes out the pump stops and its a matter of a couple of seconds before your engine siezes up due to lack of oil circulation.

Thanks for the info! What is involved with changing the sensor -or- how much does the dealer charge to fix it?
I have basic mechanical skills, but if I have to pull the cam to fix it, that's a little more than I can handle right now, lol.

2000Ranger3.slo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2000 3.0L 4x4 5spd 134,xxx... Never had a problem knock on wood besides regualr maintenance things. Replaced clutch & slave cylinder, starter, tune-up, u-joints, brakes. Regular fluid changes- still cranks right up and runs strong! Its not just the sensor that goes bad its the actual shaft that will mess up and not keep the oil pump going. I have been meaning to replace mine, the shaft itself is about $130 for OEM. Not sure what kind of labor you would be charged. I'll do mine in the driveway hopefully with no problems. You can also look into an underdrive pulley set, frees up some lost ponies might help MPG a little. I get about 18 average, 21 maybe on the hwy. But like everyone said, keep the maintenance up and that 3.0 will last you years and years! Good luck

Skeels01

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Guys thanks for the help. I looked at a 1999 Ranger, 4X4, 3.0, 5 speed today. ~91,000 miles. It was "pre enjoyed" a little bit too much for my liking.

We'll keep looking!
-John

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals