• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need thoughts/opinions on a project idea with a 5.0L Explorer

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Transfer case is bolted on finally, it's a tight fit!!! Shifter is bolted to transmission just need to make hole in floor bigger then figure out the boot and get the lever on... then bolt on rear driveshaft... also need to get the trans dipstick tube bolt back in, fill it with fluid then get the motor mount finished up...

Should be driving this weekend, I can skip some things for a while like getting all the 4x4 components working :)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The thing finally drives, took it off the jacks for the first time since February I think... It drives very good! Accelerates much better than the Geo Tracker I'm used to :), seems to run like a top, starts right up and just goes...

Still left on the list is cut the T case shifter hole bigger in the floor but it's close to fitting, after that is working I can put the front driveshaft in, ordered the U joint today so it will be here this week. Sometime this week I'm going to try to tow the thing to the DMV so I can get it plated and legal.

For the time being it's pretty nice, got a lotta cleanup to do on the interior as the sunroof "seeps" apparently, and all of the plastic clips in the lift gate are broken so neither the window or gate in the back open from the outside, and the passenger rear door won't open at all for some reason...

Now to drive the crap out of it and work out bugs, then mash the thing into a offroader next year...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, long time no post on this thread... but found a deal I can't pass up... Someone is offering me a Sterling 10.25 and D50 TTB with some supporting parts for $100 so that's probably going to be the axle setup I'll run...

I already have a D44 TTB axle on hand so I'll cobble together the best combo of parts for the front axle keeping the D50 outers at least to match the rear axle bolt pattern and have stout parts... Apparently you can do a lot of swapping between the 44 and 50 TTB so I should have enough parts... The axles are 3.55 now but I didn't see anything about a carrier break so I can go as low as 5.38's which sounds reasonable for 37" or so tires...

If I find a set of super duty axles I still might go that route but I do have a thing for TTB... not a lot of 2000 Explorers with full width TTB axles...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Boy how times change... last year got hitched, the Tracker went down about the time I got the explorer running, DD'd the sploder since last July (just shy of 30k on it), planet in the trans went out a few months ago fixed that in like 2 weeks this time, Ranger still leaks a bunch of oil out of the turbo somewhere, bought a "new" camper for the F350...

Got refreshened up on the TTB 44/50 stuff and somewhat re motivated now, I think most of this will be easier than I anticipate, most parts are on hand honestly... other than gears, tires and coilovers... tentative plans are 36-40" tires, probably 5.38 gears, spring over in the rear with the Sterling (I apparently have both a limited slip and open carrier, so traction aid is as easy as welding or getting the LS working or whatever else...). I'm thinking D50 pig and shafts in the D44 housing with D50 knuckles (apparently just adding the D50 lower ball joint to the beam is enough) since I haven't seen a D50 carrier break that makes it easy with a bigger center joint, and of course putting in good U joints and clearancing the shafts. Of course while I'm there the front axle will move ~2" forward I think to make room for things, I have two steering boxes in my stash now so I can make something work.

We'll see if I can get the Tracker back up and going to have a more efficient DD again then I can start the surgery... might be a winter '19 project though, I need a shop and need to get on that VERY SOON

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i have not been keeping up.

just this page has my back aching....

the ttb thing....been a bit since i went thru it. but i have plans i may be dusting off before too long.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, I'm not as young as I used to be... I'm still ambitious but the energy level is lower than it used to be, and it's easier to hurt myself in stupid ways (sleeping wrong, etc...) and I'm only 36...

I went through Gwai's post the other day, in the middle of Nathan's build now which other than starting with a TTB rig the axle is what I have planned and just got there in the post. I honestly haven't kept up with my own build, just been driving the crap out of the thing enjoying all the creature comforts and avoiding fixing the more economical driver... worked most of the bugs out of it at least, mainly door locks and rear wiper left to fix...

I did confirm that the leaf sprung TTB I got is a D50 today, big hubs and external circlips on the outer joints.

Next step is to find a place to stash these giant axles, rip out about 40 grape plants and T posts, rip out about 10 yards of dirt to level the area, get a $20k loan and get the shop built!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
never have enough shop space:bawling:

i dont remember the knuckles being interchangeable. the actual d50 knuckles are larger then the 44.

the nice thing about running the d50/44 beams is you can use a 31 spline slip yoke from a c6 or e4od for max travel and extended width.

making good axles with junk people throw away is easy to do with patience.

you could go 14bolt front with what you have...

remember this stuff. i know some of these guys and have wheeled with them back in the day.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/519881-my-newest-crazy-project-turning-d50-ttb-into-d60.html

i am all for staying ttb though...lots can be done. rcv makes shaft systems ect for them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals