• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to tell if there is a restriction in the exhaust using a vacuum gauge?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
One or both o2's?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Seriously... If you warm up that truck... point it straight down the road... hammer down... it runs through the gears and gets you to highway speeds... your exhaust IS NOT restricted.

When you key your ignition to the ON position... does the check engine light illuminate? if it doesn't... make sure that the bulb is good and even in the socket... Yes... I have seen them removed to hide a check engine light coming on while you test drive you new to you truck.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One in front of the cat

RB7 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 litre
Transmission
Manual
Ford says 1.5 psi or less back pressure, i would be concerned with a bouncing needle at idle, possible burned valve , broken valve spring, I would suggest a leak down test on each cylinder, and a running compression test, Factory ford coils are very good quality and engineered for the vehicle, in my opinion they are the best

Themechtec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You don't have to break it, stupid!
shift solenoids

this is also a symptom of a transmission issue. "chattering" while cruising could be the shift solenoids need replaced, or general rebuild may be in order.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Seriously... If you warm up that truck... point it straight down the road... hammer down... it runs through the gears and gets you to highway speeds... your exhaust IS NOT restricted.

When you key your ignition to the ON position... does the check engine light illuminate? if it doesn't... make sure that the bulb is good and even in the socket... Yes... I have seen them removed to hide a check engine light coming on while you test drive you new to you truck.
This this thing will get up to speed that does not seem to be an issue just the shaking running lower RPM's going up hills. Usually in first gear 1000-2000ish RPM's I feel it the most. My Check Engine Light works as it should, I think since I have not had issues with it coming on while running. It does turn on with the key in the run position engine off. This shake had me thinking, for a short time, that when the clutch was replaced just before I got it the flywheel wasn't turned giving me clutch chatter since it is low RPM's that I felt it till it did it going up my road with the clutch fully engaged foot off the peddle. This told me drive train and I've been hunting this thing ever since.

One in front of the cat
The reason I asked is because this thing has one in each down pipe, to measure each bank, and was wondering which one I should pull. Both are before the cat, none after since its a 94 engine OBD1 setup, so I'm thinking I should pull the right bank o2 since it is closest to the cat. yes/no?

Ford says 1.5 psi or less back pressure, i would be concerned with a bouncing needle at idle, possible burned valve , broken valve spring, I would suggest a leak down test on each cylinder, and a running compression test, Factory ford coils are very good quality and engineered for the vehicle, in my opinion they are the best
When I pull the o2 I will measure both ways, from the vacuum tree and check the back pressure while it is out. thanks for the spec on this. This will be probably in a week or so since I just did my radius arm bushings and am sore as the dickens right now. I have not done a leak down test since I don't have the tester but I have done the compression test on it, link to results: https://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178456 . I changed out the coil not because it was bad but because I was going from a Honda Civic to a truck and wanted the best gas mileage I could get out of it, along with E3 spark plugs.

this is also a symptom of a transmission issue. "chattering" while cruising could be the shift solenoids need replaced, or general rebuild may be in order.
This would be a possibility if I had the automatic transmission version. My friend mentioned I should also check the U-joints in it so that will be done to but have have not heard any clunking out of them but can't hurt to check.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Whichever o2 is easiest to get out.
What rpm are you at when symptoms show?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Whichever o2 is easiest to get out.
What rpm are you at when symptoms show?
Symptoms show from take off to 2200 rpm mostly in first gear but have felt it in second but I can just barely feel it in second. None on the rest of the gears.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals