• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heater Box/AC with V8 swap

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello!

First off let me state that I have searched, and did not find results I needed. Nearly everything said to use the non A/C box for space when doing the V8 swap. Maybe I'm just using the wrong search terms but I couldn't find anything helpful on this one.

I have a 1986 Ranger set up for 2.9L w/Factory AC. I will be installing a 1998 Ford Explorer 5.0L Engine. I am set on keeping A/C in the truck. I will be lowering the truck, and I will not install a body lift. So what will it take to retain A/C and make this swap work?

FWIW I will have the entire explorer available to remove parts from. I would consider using all the AC components from it but from what I've read the fire walls are shaped differently and the Explorer duct work will not match up to my first gen dash.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've never done a V8 swap, but I remembered reading this thread about a mod to the heater box. Hopefully this will help you out:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90124
Probably won't be enough. I heated and hacked and heated and hacked on mine and couldn't get it to work very well at all... and I have a bodylift. I would recommend getting the shortest valve covers you can find and still clear the rockers, mine are kinda tall. That is a non-AC box in that link.

Here is how it looks with the engine side of the box removed.

I gave up and got a non-ac box. It really opened things up (like spark plugs) and I think looks a lot better.

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Hate to dig up an old thread but this guy is asking the exact same question that I've got.

92 T-Bird 302efi going into an 87 Ranger single cab, but I'll be adding the A/C option to the truck myself. It was originally a non-A/C truck. I'm hoping the A/C wiring harness behind the dash controls are there but just not used on the base model trucks, so me adding everything will be easier.

Anyone have any experiences on this stuff in the last 6 years or so? lol

Coldair

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hate to dig up an old thread but this guy is asking the exact same question that I've got.

92 T-Bird 302efi going into an 87 Ranger single cab, but I'll be adding the A/C option to the truck myself. It was originally a non-A/C truck. I'm hoping the A/C wiring harness behind the dash controls are there but just not used on the base model trucks, so me adding everything will be easier.

Anyone have any experiences on this stuff in the last 6 years or so? lol
Not sure if this will help you. I'm going to be installing a explorer 302 with aluminum heads that have roller rockers so they have tall valve covers.
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/January2011/explorer-v8_95-97_ranger.shtml

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Harness is mostly standalone that comes out from the HVAC controls to the A/C stuff. Not sure if it taps in somewhere to power it or not.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to get my dash panel removed, and do the same to a donor truck, and just have a look around.

I've been going over it in my head, and I think I can build the circuit needed. Depending on where/how the WOT relay is activated. I see no reason why I couldn't use the 1st gen Ranger dash control to trigger a relay, which then fed power from the battery to the high pressure switch, then the WOT cut-out relay, then to the compressor. If the high pressure switch or the WOT relay were "activated" then it would simply cut power to the A/C clutch. UNLESS all of the switches/relays are in the ground circuit. I'd then just have to build the circuit a little differently.

In fact, building the circuit seems much more simple than trying to figure out how to add factory A/C wiring to a truck that I'm also doing a V8 swap to.

GB :)

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is a really simple harness.

The only variable you are throwing at it is the connector for the compressor and the WOT relay should you choose to use it. It isn't really required, a 5.0 with the A/C on at WOT will pummel just about any stock engine for power with the compressor kicked off at WOT.

I am planning on getting a temp switch so if it starts to overheat it will trigger the WOT relay and at least kill the A/C. (like if I leave the truck unattended for a little bit or or something)

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wish you luck with it and know that it can be done. Basically my project has sat neglected since I started this post. Life, work, and weather kept getting in the way and never made any progress. Did finally set the engine on the frame 2 years ago, but once again that's as far as it got. Started tinkering with it a little again a few weeks ago, but every time things line up to start working something gets in the way. Usually my employer deciding that we're not working enough (aircraft mechanic) and don't need to have a life or do anything outside of work. Get time and weather (and motivation) right to start back working on the truck and they say hey we ****ed up scheduling and you need to make it right. About 13 hours a day 6 days a week being dedicated to work and no one at home to keep stuff moving there, so have to get that done on day 7. About ready to walk out the door, but I've got 13 years in and good benefits (federal aircraft mechanic). I digress...

Good luck on getting everything working and please let us know how it goes.

I'm seriously considering abandoning the ranger and finding a classic mustang or something to drop this motor in. For now I'm still going to plug away on my Ranger swap a little along and might still need the information myself down the road.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wish you luck with it and know that it can be done. Basically my project has sat neglected since I started this post. Life, work, and weather kept getting in the way and never made any progress. Did finally set the engine on the frame 2 years ago, but once again that's as far as it got. Started tinkering with it a little again a few weeks ago, but every time things line up to start working something gets in the way. Usually my employer deciding that we're not working enough (aircraft mechanic) and don't need to have a life or do anything outside of work. Get time and weather (and motivation) right to start back working on the truck and they say hey we ****ed up scheduling and you need to make it right. About 13 hours a day 6 days a week being dedicated to work and no one at home to keep stuff moving there, so have to get that done on day 7. About ready to walk out the door, but I've got 13 years in and good benefits (federal aircraft mechanic). I digress...

Good luck on getting everything working and please let us know how it goes.

I'm seriously considering abandoning the ranger and finding a classic mustang or something to drop this motor in. For now I'm still going to plug away on my Ranger swap a little along and might still need the information myself down the road.
That sucks, I thought you had made more progress than that on it.

Mine has been sitting for most of the summer and it has been driving me nuts. Started out with ignition problems, I got it all cleaned up in August for a car show and have been trying to keep it clean for our wedding next weekend... so it has only been to town twice since august.

Also means no progress on it in any regard... and I have a hunch I won't be able to get the ball rolling on that for a while after the honeymoon which doesn't help either.

I would love a Mustang, won't cut it as a DD and there is no way I could part with my Ranger... so it isn't really that practical. :sad:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've basically got everything to put it together, just got to find time and motivation to do it. Engine and trans are sitting in place and had cab sitting on frame, but nothing bolted down. Popped cab off a few months ago for better access to finish mounting engine and trans and to run new fuel and brake lines. Need to pull EFI harness to mod it for standalone and generally clean engine. Have hard line and hose to make fuel system as well as BII tank to get it rolling, just got to get it installed. Have 13" Cobra Brakes, Explorer rear disks, and all the hard line needed, but once again got to install them. Still need to get a driveshaft, fuel tank I'll use with the bed installed, and replace the chassis wiring, but those can wait until I get it running.

As for the Mustang...
I drive a little 2 door Korean sports koup now as a DD now. With an overdrive and the right gearing a Mustang could get nearly as good of gas mileage. It'd be faster, more enjoyable, probably more comfortable. If done right it'd actually be a better DD than what I have now. Granted it'd also be a bigger steal me target, but 95% of the time my vehicles are at my house or inside the fence of a guarded federal installation, theft is not a very big concern at either place.

Actually I'd prefer a mid 65-67 Galaxy or Country Squire/Sedan, or a late 60s Fairlane/Torino over the Mustang. For either of those I think a larger engine would be in order. Really prefer the wagon and set it up to handle, but it'd probably lead to a built FE or a 351 based stroker.

Even if I give up on the 86, I'll still have a truck. Still have the 99 even if the Engine is annoying the crap out of me. Next project will be a full size truck, leaning towards rebuilding dad's 68 F-100. If I find the right donor body, it could end up a Ranger (trim package) as well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As for the Mustang...
I drive a little 2 door Korean sports koup now as a DD now. With an overdrive and the right gearing a Mustang could get nearly as good of gas mileage. It'd be faster, more enjoyable, probably more comfortable. If done right it'd actually be a better DD than what I have now. Granted it'd also be a bigger steal me target, but 95% of the time my vehicles are at my house or inside the fence of a guarded federal installation, theft is not a very big concern at either place.

Actually I'd prefer a mid 65-67 Galaxy or Country Squire/Sedan, or a late 60s Fairlane/Torino over the Mustang. For either of those I think a larger engine would be in order. Really prefer the wagon and set it up to handle, but it'd probably lead to a built FE or a 351 based stroker.

Even if I give up on the 86, I'll still have a truck. Still have the 99 even if the Engine is annoying the crap out of me. Next project will be a full size truck, leaning towards rebuilding dad's 68 F-100. If I find the right donor body, it could end up a Ranger (trim package) as well.
I would love a 67-73 or a 94-95. Realistically the 94-95 makes a lot more sense for the $$. You get EFI, overdrive, disk brakes, nice suspension, A/C, cruise and all that out of the box plus they are cheaper too.

I dd an F-150, I live in the country on a gravel road and we get snow. I don't see a Mustang hopping the 18" berm of snow the state puts on the end of my gravel road as well as my F-150. :icon_twisted:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Snow? What's that? I don't think we have that around here. I mean I've seen this white stiff floating in the air that the locals call snow, but it never seems to hit the ground. Even that only happens every couple of years. As for the grave roads, not that I got rid of the 17" wheels and low profile tires, my Kia handles most of them fine. That is of course assuming that I don't try to drive it like a rally car, that's what the truck and ATV are for.

Realistically the 94-95 makes a lot more sense for the $$. You get EFI, overdrive, disk brakes, nice suspension, A/C, cruise and all that out of the box plus they are cheaper too.
Funny you mention that. My future plans for the 68:
Bolt-on EFI
Front disk conversion
A/C
Overdrive
Cruise (maybe? Don't really use it even though I have it in later cars.)

This truck is 4wd with solid axle, coil spring D44, while later model would be TTB coil spring D44. Even with a 2wd there aren't that many differences between them as they are both TIB suspension. Now if I were looking at an F-250 with leaf springs I'd be a little more concerned, but ultimately it's a truck.

More details on 68 as is:
1968 F-100 (70 body)
390 FE (was told that it had better heads and intake from a Thunderbird?)
NP435 w/ Dana 21
Dana 44 front axle
Ford 9" rear axle
32x11.5 tires
3" lift (1" suspension, 2" body)
Power Steering
Power Brakes

I'd be open to a 92-96 F-150, but haven't found any worth looking at. Anything in decent shape costs almost as much as a later model truck, the rest will need a lot of work to get them into a condition I'd be happy with. I've been shopping for the other trucks I like, namely 9th and 11th gen F-150s. For the money I'd be looking at I can do a whole heck of a lot on the 68.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Snow? What's that? I don't think we have that around here. I mean I've seen this white stiff floating in the air that the locals call snow, but it never seems to hit the ground. Even that only happens every couple of years. As for the grave roads, not that I got rid of the 17" wheels and low profile tires, my Kia handles most of them fine. That is of course assuming that I don't try to drive it like a rally car, that's what the truck and ATV are for.
Gravel itself is nothing special for the most part. It just takes the county two days to get around to plowing my road in the winter. And while they knock out the berm the state puts on the end of my road where it meets the highway they put their own berm across my driveway.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I spent a long weekend in Vale in Feburary 2016. Roads were nice and the rental eco-boost Taurus handled them fine, but I could definitely see where I'd want a truck once away from town.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals