• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best off-road and on road shocks?

spartan4life79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looking to get a little more into off roading this summer, and trying to figure out what might be the best shocks to put on my 2004 Ford Ranger XLT? And anything else anyone would recommend. Maybe lights? Grill guard?

Thanks!

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I would imagine bilsteins, that is what I am going to be getting once I need new ones

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Shocks are like shoes. There are different types for different functions. Are you looking for 90% road 10% off road? Stock or lifted? Hauling, towing or not?

Give us more detail. You might be convinced to get the wrong shock otherwise.

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got new bilsteins about two weeks ago. Much much better on and off road than my 13 year old stocks. Used to rock so much on the trail now it crawls smooth

GDRBO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I run Fox or Bilstein. For the bucks KYBs work pretty good.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Shocks are shocks?? No! Don't believe that...

If you ever run bilsteins, you'll never use a different shock. NEVER! I'm getting some for my b2 when I do the front axle swap. Just gotta figure out the length I need. Well worth the money. 5150's. Even 5125's. 4wheelparts runs good sales on them sometimes to.

Good bilsteins are gonna treat you right on road, off road and for mild towing. Any towing you'll do with a ranger: you'll be fine.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like my nitro Skyjacker's.

spartan4life79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Its a stock Ranger, had thought about a body lift, but wasnt sure on it really. I would say 75% on road 25% off road. Might tow a trainer with atv's on occasion but rarely.

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Its a stock Ranger, had thought about a body lift, but wasnt sure on it really. I would say 75% on road 25% off road. Might tow a trainer with atv's on occasion but rarely.
If you won't be doing a suspension lift and you want quality vs cost go with Bilstein. They have a rep of outstanding quality. If you don't want to order off the net Monroe Sensa-Trac, Monroe Reflex and KYB are great shocks with the advantage of in town availability and parts store support.

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
no one else seems to have mentioned these so far, but i like the rancho rs5000's They're cheap and they ride really stiff. I just replaced my bilstein's (4600 series? not sure) with the ranchos, the truck rides much stiffer and harsher but i'm actually in favor of it, the ride is less "bouncy" too

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Shocks are shocks?? No! Don't believe that...
I agree. Shocks matter, on any vehicle, in any environment. Ask any autocrosser about shocks, and I guarantee he has a lot to say. I know first hand that Monroe is pure junk. Sensa tracs have no damping whatsoever through the middle part of their travel. KYB Gr2s are okay, but tend to lose their low speed damping within 10k miles of install, and that is with strictly street driving. I have Kyb gas a justs (or something like that) on our '91 F150 hauler, and they have been okay for about 30k on the street now. They see some off road occasionally and do okay. Rancho rs5000s are what I currently have on my Ranger, and they have almost as much low speed damping as a Koni yellow (good street/ autocross shock), or at least it feels that way, which makes them stiff as hell for off roading. However, somehow it seems that they have not lost any of their damping, even as I continue to beat on them pretty hard on occasion. There is almost no arguing though, that about everything Biltstein makes works right and lasts. I had a set of custom valved Bilsteins on an autocross Mustang back when I was into that kind of thing, and was far happier with them for several reasons than any Konis or Tokicos I have ever owned, and I have had multiple sets of both. All in all, for price and performance, in my book, Bilstein wins, and Bilsteins are what will go on my Ranger next.

spartan4life79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for that info! That helps me out quite a bit!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals