Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Suspension & Armor > Off-Road 4x4 Suspensions

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
DrewNukesEm

Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XL (Long bed)
I use this vehicle for: Project - Off-road
DrewNukesEm will become famous soon enough
Default Opinions on off-road shocks?

Hello all,

I’m planning on lifting my ’84 2.3L Ranger 4x4 with a modest 2” lift.

2” spacers up front, camber bushings - 2” Belltech 6400 (or similar) rear shackles.

I will also be replacing some bushings front and back, with polyurethane ones; the vehicle has been sitting for some years…

I will be upgrading from my OEM shocks as well, and would like some opinions on what ones to go with.

I would really like to go with Bilstein’s as I am familiar with their quality but it doesn’t look like they offer anything for a 2” lift; just stock, then 4” and up.

So I have been trying to decide between 3 different brands, 7 different shocks-

1. James Duff’s 70/30 auto-adjust shocks as they claim they are specifically designed for Ford Bronco’s and RBV’s…

2. Skyjacker Nitro 8000’s, because they are around the same price with the rebate they have going on right now. I have never run SJ before, however I have heard bad things about them, along with Pro Comp (mainly from jeep guys)…

3. Because I would really like to go with Bilstein’s, I am also really considering the new mono-tube Skyjacker M95’s as it looks like they are offered in the same sizes as the hydro’s and nitro’s are.

The only other shocks I was looking into were by Doetsch Tech who focuses on off-road and Rangers…

4. DT3000

5. Pre-runner 8000

6. Nitrogen gas 9000

7. Baja Ryder’s

Has anyone had any experience with any of these shocks? I would really like to hear what everyone has to say, and suggestions, especially you hard core off-road guys.

Thank you, I really appreciate it!
DrewNukesEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
ronclark
Supporting Member

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger Super
I use this vehicle for: Weekend driving
ronclark has a spectacular aura aboutronclark has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to ronclark Send a message via Yahoo to ronclark

In my 87 in the rear i have explorer springs and 6400 shackles I am running Bilstein F4-BE5-6249-H5. that is what Bilstein recommended with the measurements gave them.
I love them, i cant wait to get some fronts in.
I have used procomps and hate them, rancho's 5000 great for a heavy rig, way to stiff in a ranger
Old 03-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Bennybooster

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Driving over stuff
Bennybooster is a splendid one to beholdBennybooster is a splendid one to beholdBennybooster is a splendid one to beholdBennybooster is a splendid one to beholdBennybooster is a splendid one to beholdBennybooster is a splendid one to behold

Swap in f350 shock mounts (I have a pair that you could buy ) and then you can run longer shocks. I would get bilstiens
Old 03-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
DrewNukesEm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronclark View Post
In my 87 in the rear i have explorer springs and 6400 shackles I am running Bilstein F4-BE5-6249-H5. that is what Bilstein recommended with the measurements gave them.
I love them, i cant wait to get some fronts in.
I have used procomps and hate them, rancho's 5000 great for a heavy rig, way to stiff in a ranger
Yeah, I’ve heard bad things about Pro Comp from various friends and sources, and personally do not like Ranchos either, so I'm not considering either of them really. The only bad things I’ve heard about Skyjacker, I read on the internet, mainly from Jeep guys, but I am still considering them because I have also read good things…

What lift setup are you running up front?

Running a 2” lift, Bilstein offers the 5100’s in the proper dimensions for the rear, however they don’t make 5100’s with the proper dimensions for the front end, they are all too tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennybooster View Post
Swap in f350 shock mounts (I have a pair that you could buy ) and then you can run longer shocks. I would get bilstiens
Haha, that would be pretty cool. I’d like to look into it a bit more but I’ll keep you in mind, thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
I decided that im prolly gunna skip on the f 250 shock mounts and just get the shocks for 2inches of lift. My question is though what shocks should i get cause im gunna need the kind that mount with that pin deal on top.
Just out of curiosity, what shock did you end up going with here?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
prerunnerwannabe

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Getting distracted....
prerunnerwannabe will become famous soon enoughprerunnerwannabe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How much do ya want for them?
prerunnerwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
legoms013
09/2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Make: Ford Ranger
Vehicle Model: XLT 4x4
I use this vehicle for: DD, Rearranging the Landscape
legoms013 is a jewel in the roughlegoms013 is a jewel in the roughlegoms013 is a jewel in the roughlegoms013 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to legoms013

Bilsteins can be had in any length you need, go to shockwarehousing.com and look up which on you need and they come in different valving too if you wanna run duals or singles.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
4.0B2
Supporting Member

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Taking my Money
4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoms013 View Post
Bilsteins can be had in any length you need, go to shockwarehousing.com and look up which on you need and they come in different valving too if you wanna run duals or singles.
this..
you won't beat bilsteins... spend the money now and get the right shocks. use f250 shock towers. there's an article in the tech library about them.
4.0B2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
legoms013
09/2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Make: Ford Ranger
Vehicle Model: XLT 4x4
I use this vehicle for: DD, Rearranging the Landscape
legoms013 is a jewel in the roughlegoms013 is a jewel in the roughlegoms013 is a jewel in the roughlegoms013 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to legoms013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0B2 View Post
this..
you won't beat bilsteins... spend the money now and get the right shocks. use f250 shock towers. there's an article in the tech library about them.
for $90 a piece they are hard to beat for a shock that does everything pretty good....won't get that from a $30 rancho or skyjacker shock thats for sure
Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
4.0B2
Supporting Member

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Taking my Money
4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
for $90 a piece they are hard to beat for a shock that does everything pretty good....won't get that from a $30 rancho or skyjacker shock thats for sure
def won't get it from the cheap rough country ones... i'll be so glad when i replace my shocks!
4.0B2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
DrewNukesEm

Quote:
Sweet, thanks man. I was just trying to compare (unsuccessfully) on the Bilsten website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0B2 View Post
this..
I agree, Bilstein’s are the shit. Have had good experience with them, they are about the only brand my friends run.

Thank you for pointing me towards the tech library. Once I was there, I remembered I had read that article before, but for some reason thought it only applied to lifts bigger than 2”. It looks like a inexpensive mod that will give some pretty good results.

Quote:
Yeah, you are right man… You get what you pay for (for the most part…)

When my funds permit me to, I’d rather spend a little more the first time to do it right, then get by and be disappointed with the decision I made…