• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RAM...GoLD!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I just found my stash of old RAM that I pulled from various and assorted computers that I found in the trash or was given by friendly people with too much junk.

I must have 20 or 30 sticks of it...anybody else collecting this hoping to discover an easy way to remove the thin layer of gold?

I watched a video, Youtube of course, on this a while back and some people drive themselves crazy thinking it's easy money...it is...but it isn't.

EDIT: OK, so I watched two videos...the first one was similar to the second...but the second one showed a yield...from about 100 RAM sticks and with about two days of processing...plus chemical costs and buying things to finish the gold into a final nugget...he grossed $80 or around that...that does not count the chemical costs...muriatic acid, hydrogen peroxide, urea, and some other long chemical name...

Unless you have tons of this stuff and a big well ventilated place to fart around with it...probably not worth it to most people to salvage...

Last edited:

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
EBay, believe it or not old RAM fetches increased prices these days... or not (depends on what it is and how old ) you can also donate to goodwill, they do computer refurbs

SAMSUNG say whaaaaaat?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Problem is if it was made after 1980 it is gold plate and maybe gold-ruthenium alloy.
When you try to sell it gold-ruthenium alloy will pass acid test meaning it is gold but it will also be magnetic, which gold is not so............no one will buy it.

There is gold in sea water also, and lots of it, estimate is about eight million tons of gold dissolved in the world’s oceans.

Just because you know gold is there doesn't mean it will be profitable to get it :)

While I do think electronics should be recycled I don't think the minerals recovered can pay for the cost of the labor and chemicals needed for the recovery.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Problem is if it was made after 1980 it is gold plate and maybe gold-ruthenium alloy.
When you try to sell it gold-ruthenium alloy will pass acid test meaning it is gold but it will also be magnetic, which gold is not so............no one will buy it.

There is gold in sea water also, and lots of it, estimate is about eight million tons of gold dissolved in the world’s oceans.

Just because you know gold is there doesn't mean it will be profitable to get it :)

While I do think electronics should be recycled I don't think the minerals recovered can pay for the cost of the labor and chemicals needed for the recovery.
Good info RonD. Neither of the guys in the videos pointed out that there may be some other form of gold in the mix. That would be a real disappointment...

Reminds me of the time I took a cat to the junkyard thinking I was going to get $45 to $60 only to find out the cat was gutted...and the next one I took was a later model that they do not even buy...

I'm thinking of taking a few real cats to them to see what they say about those! :icon_rofl:

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I think the hard drives have magnets in them that are worth a few bucks,if you remove them from the metal plate you get a little more but they can break easy. Look on ebay

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I think the hard drives have magnets in them that are worth a few bucks,if you remove them from the metal plate you get a little more but they can break easy. Look on ebay
Those magnets are awesome. they will stick to each other through your hand, or at least through your fingers.

They are a bit tricky to get off of the metal backing, but an X-Acto knife can get under them and if you are careful you can break the glue bond with the knife.

AJ

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Just build computer and use all the ram.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Just build computer and use all the ram.
I would need a box the size of Montreal or bigger...maybe Manhattan...if that's an actual place...

It has been sitting in a bin in my truck for a few weeks or more and I still haven't been able to get someone to do a dump run for me...if I finish my Ranger soon I might just drive it all over to the dump myself...be done with it...

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I would need a box the size of Montreal or bigger...maybe Manhattan...if that's an actual place...

It has been sitting in a bin in my truck for a few weeks or more and I still haven't been able to get someone to do a dump run for me...if I finish my Ranger soon I might just drive it all over to the dump myself...be done with it...
I know some places will pay you for them, I know there's a program over there that gives electronics out to people who need them.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I know some places will pay you for them, I know there's a program over there that gives electronics out to people who need them.
I've checked around before on this and they all said the same thing...nope, not buying any more ram for a while...lol

I advertised one set of RAM sticks that are error correction...they were meant for servers and I pulled it out of one that was scrapped thinking I could use it in my box...I think they were 1 gig each...but, anyway, I didn't get any bites on the bytes so I think it is sitting here somewhere collecting dust...

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Mark.... you maple syrup drinking, steel wool using son of a gun.... how are you? Long time no see.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hey Shane~! Good to see you still pop in once in a while. I'm OK, no more steel wool but I do slurple the Maple Syruple the odd time...what have you been up to? I saw a post by you not too long ago...something about an F150...but I think you had that when you were on here regularly...

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I've still got my F150. It's one hell of a good truck. I've just been plugging along, same old same old. As much as I am into PC's, I never knew there was some gold involved... LOL. I just threw away a bunch of ram and other old PC parts back in May. Damn it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals