• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bolts for radius and axle pivot brackets

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought radius arm and axle pivot drop brackets. The directions say I need to check the bolts that replaced the factory rivets to make sure they don't come loose. Has anybody used any special bolts to keep them from coming loose? Sounds kind of lame that you have to keep an eye on the bolts. What about tacking the bolts with my mig welder? :icon_confused:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
All the bracket bolts that came with my lift kit were fine thread with nylock nuts and I was instructed to use red Loctite. I believe they were grade 8 bolts.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
Mine has steel lock nuts.
I don't care for nylocks.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just got done bolting it up. The kit has nylocks. I will back the bolts off and locktite them. I don't get the locktite and the lock bolts too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Lock nuts, loctite, weld it together, you don't want that shit coming apart, and there is no overkill here.

Rivets were used at the factory because they can't come loose by accident. I used stover lock nuts on my frame when I put it back together, and I am probably due to check the torques on them soon.

You are worried about having to periodically check 6 or 8 bolts for safety, I have 50 that hold my frame and all it's brakcets together that I need to check, pretty much for the rest of the life of the truck.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lock nuts, loctite, weld it together, you don't want that shit coming apart, and there is no overkill here.

Rivets were used at the factory because they can't come loose by accident. I used stover lock nuts on my frame when I put it back together, and I am probably due to check the torques on them soon.

You are worried about having to periodically check 6 or 8 bolts for safety, I have 50 that hold my frame and all it's brakcets together that I need to check, pretty much for the rest of the life of the truck.
Not really worried about it. Just wondering if there was a more solid way short of riveting. I am a machinist and know of some bolts but not sure if they cost a bunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
With proper torque the bolts shouldn't loosen, especially if you have locknuts on them.

I suspect a reason companies give that warning is to cover their ass in case someone doesn't clean their frame properly, leaving a bunch of dirt & crap between where the bracket is clamped down. When that dirt finally works it's way out of there, the bolt will no longer have the correct amount of clamping pressure against the bracket.

A couple hundred miles after you've put your kit on (as well as after your first good wheeling trip), go over all the bolts again real good. After that, you should be fine from then on out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals