• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thermostat Gasket or Silicone?

RgrDrvr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am changing my thermostat and for some reason cant get a gasket from any parts stores around - we´re in Mexico at the moment. I can get a thermostat, just no gasket.

My question is before I open up the housing - do I need a gasket to replace the thermostat or can I use some hi temp silicone? I have used silicone before on other vehicles with no problems but some of them need a gasket to get the thermostat to seal properly, otherwise it is loose in the housing. Thanks in advance for any advice.

aggoodin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Silicone or hi temp RTV it to get out of Mexico and then get your proper gasket when you get back.

RgrDrvr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the fast reply, the thing is it´s actually a family member´s truck and they live in Mexico - it was originally from the US but now the truck lives in Mexico.

I guess the short answer is that it does in fact need a gasket.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The only thing I can think of is finding one online, or I believe a new coolant neck comes w/ gasket (you'd have to check in the box). That would be an expensive gasket though ($20?). Nothing pisses me off more than scraping off caked on RTV. :)

Pete

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
the thermostat has a rubber seal around its edge to seal the housing.it should come in the box with the thermostat.no gasket or silicon needed

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the thermostat has a rubber seal around its edge to seal the housing.it should come in the box with the thermostat.no gasket or silicon needed
And chances are you can reuse the old rubber seal if the new t-stat doesn't have one with it.

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FWIW, I've replaced lots and lots of thermostats and never used a gasket, used good ol Permatex #2. Kind of a pain to get the crap off later, but it works. Back in the day, I remember reading about the Permatex people building a race motor and racing it with no gaskets at all, everything was sealed with Permatex.

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Just like he said: The gasket/o-ring should come in the box with the T-stat. Just replaced mine and that was the case.

If not, use the old one, have someone mail you one, go on-line....

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
Just like he said: The gasket/o-ring should come in the box with the T-stat. Just replaced mine and that was the case.

If not, use the old one, have someone mail you one, go on-line....
if it does in fact need a gasket you can do the old farm trick of taking a cardboard cereal box and tracing your thermostat housing on it and cutting it out and use a little pematex , has worked for me without problems

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
if it does in fact need a gasket you can do the old farm trick of taking a cardboard cereal box and tracing your thermostat housing on it and cutting it out and use a little pematex , has worked for me without problems
I've done that also, works great...

RgrDrvr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys, Im on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals