• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedo quit working shifting hard

Sheps7864

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
2000 ranger 3.0 automatic 2wd 194,xxx miles...was driving the other day and we stopped at a gas station left the truck running got out and came back as soon as we started moving the od off light started flashing check engine light came on. the speedo doesnt work at all, trans shifts hard into gears and the windows wont roll up or down. The headlights still work and dash lights as well. Found a fuse in the box had ruptured it was the a4lde od trans/backup lamps/drl fuse. Replaced it and it immediately blew with truck off. Where should i begin to look?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Something in that circuit is shorted to ground. Here is something you can do without a meter.

I would find a connector near the daytime running lights (DRL) and unplug it. Same with the backup lamps. Then replace the fuse and see if it blows. If it does not, start the truck and drive it a little bit to see if transmission acts right and to make sure fuse still does not blow. Then reconnect either the backup lights or the daytime running lights. If fuse blows, that is the bad circuit. If fuse stays good, energize whichever ones you reconnected and make sure fuse doesn't blow. Then do same for the last circuit if necessary. Once you get it narrowed down to just one of those circuits, check the wiring and bulbs and lamp holders for that circuit. Somewhere a wire is rubbed through or a light is full of water or something making it pull too much current.

Have you recently added trailer wiring? If so, I would start with the backup lights circuit somewhere near where the trailer wiring was added.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

Sheps7864

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Something in that circuit is shorted to ground. Here is something you can do without a meter.

I would find a connector near the daytime running lights (DRL) and unplug it. Same with the backup lamps. Then replace the fuse and see if it blows. If it does not, start the truck and drive it a little bit to see if transmission acts right and to make sure fuse still does not blow. Then reconnect either the backup lights or the daytime running lights. If fuse blows, that is the bad circuit. If fuse stays good, energize whichever ones you reconnected and make sure fuse doesn't blow. Then do same for the last circuit if necessary. Once you get it narrowed down to just one of those circuits, check the wiring and bulbs and lamp holders for that circuit. Somewhere a wire is rubbed through or a light is full of water or something making it pull too much current.

Have you recently added trailer wiring? If so, I would start with the backup lights circuit somewhere near where the trailer wiring was added.

I finally got to look into it again..this fuse is supposed to run DRLs, overdrive, and back up lamps. This vehicle doesn't have DRLs and the backup lamps work fine..also discovered the wipers dont work tonight. Checked radio and cig lighter etc...all works except speedo windows and wipers. Truck runs fine the od light doesnt turn on and flash until it shifts into 2nd the first time after starting. I dug through every wire i could find and found nothing. Could it be an ecu issue? Remember all of this happened at the exact same time.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
It sounds like you have several issues. The speedometer and OD might be related through the PCM. Did you replace that fuse again? If so, did it stay good or blow immediately?

The windows and wipers would be other circuits.

I did some digging. But I haven't found diagrams yet that I feel positive are for your truck.

Sheps7864

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The fuse blew immediately when i replaced it. Thats why i was wondering about the pcm because all of it happened together the same day..never diagnosed a pcm issue.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
You mentioned ECU earlier. I would think PCM and not ECU in this case. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with the PCM to share with you. My vehicles have been too old and prehistoric for that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals