• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whos all in the military?

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
144 "Thriftpower", 2.4 MIVEC
Transmission
Manual
It is actually ALOT ALOT ALOT different now, at least in the army. They treat you real nice, no more shark attack right off hte bus, they cant swear at the privates anymore, they cant mentally abuse them etc. Its be all nice and sweet you can be til the private learns what he needs to. Todays army in vietnams situation would have been worthless. They have these things called stress cards. When the drill sergeant starts to stress you too much you can use this card for a 24 stress break. once a week or something. LOL

When I got recalled for Iraq we had to retrain on the mortar square (requalify basically) and we were slid in with a class of privates. LOL that lasted about two days when one of my guys drew stress card on his joker from a card deck. We all got pulled off hte square, sent to the testing square and nixed all further training, they tested us out, we got expert and they got us the hell away from the cherries, LOL It was awesome.
They did away with those, for the Navy at least. Also, you'll find that there is a MASSIVE disparity between what they are allowed to do to you, and what they actually do to you.

In Navy boot camp they can't touch you, swear at you, and they have limits to how much of a certain punishment they can give you. I got shoved, sworn at constantly, and I later found out that most of the time I was doing 2 or 3 times the max when I got beat. Most of this was either for being from Texas, or for being the tallest one in my division.

SnC RangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im an ex coastie and if i had to do it all over again id go coast guard but they are pretty picky and last i heard theres a long wait to get into basic.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
They did away with those, for the Navy at least. Also, you'll find that there is a MASSIVE disparity between what they are allowed to do to you, and what they actually do to you.

In Navy boot camp they can't touch you, swear at you, and they have limits to how much of a certain punishment they can give you. I got shoved, sworn at constantly, and I later found out that most of the time I was doing 2 or 3 times the max when I got beat. Most of this was either for being from Texas, or for being the tallest one in my division.
Yeah well keep in mind I went through boot in 98. Right before the first female was trained at ft benning. I know all about what they can and what they will do. Each unit is different. But I also watched the new privates get walked calmly off their busses and respectfully taken upstairs to their barracks. They listen to radio on the busses to their training unit, blah blah its really sickening. :annoyed:

They havent done away with the stress cards in the army, at least they had them in 2005 when I got pulled back in after 4 yrs out.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
:icon_cheers: Thanks to all who have served
+1 to that. I don't care what branch or what your MOS was. You did your part to protect the USA or one of our allies. (I'm looking up at you Canuckistan!)

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
I am going in after college, hopefully as a Field Medic, always been good at keepin people healthy, haha. It spread off from me becoming the medic in every FPS I play, I run across dangerous areas to the wounded, and they cover my ass while I try to get to safety.

Anywho, I am just going army.

(ROTC in college to help pay off college too!)

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I will say that all the training I received from the AF while I was helped me to get where I am not now. I starting a job a RF (Radio Frequency) Field Tech. I will be a mobile teleco tech basically. I am really looking forward to starting this thing.

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
144 "Thriftpower", 2.4 MIVEC
Transmission
Manual
But I also watched the new privates get walked calmly off their busses and respectfully taken upstairs to their barracks. They listen to radio on the busses to their training unit, blah blah its really sickening. :annoyed:
Damn. I was told to "sit down, shut up, look straight ahead, and if you blink, fart, or think dirty thoughts It will be the last thing you ever regret." I was so tired and hungry just rolling in the front gate that I told the Chief that yes, as a matter of fact, I did call that standing attention, and asked him what he called it. Come to think of it, there may have been a good reason I got beat so much...

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
It is actually ALOT ALOT ALOT different now, at least in the army. They treat you real nice, no more shark attack right off hte bus, they cant swear at the privates anymore, they cant mentally abuse them etc. Its be all nice and sweet you can be til the private learns what he needs to. Todays army in vietnams situation would have been worthless. They have these things called stress cards. When the drill sergeant starts to stress you too much you can use this card for a 24 stress break. once a week or something. LOL.
They did away with the stress card. As far as them being nice to you, Not I, nor anybody I know that went through at the same time as me... or any of the soldiers that we get in... went to a basic training described like that. I heard the stories that it was going to be that way, but it definitely wasn't. They are just stories.

Last edited:

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Legally they are not supposed to, but being in a forgien country, they sometimes will anyways.

They army is severely improved though, I will give it that.

EDIT:

My dad was in there just after they removed the ability for the commanding officers to hit the other soldiers was removed. He was standing at attention and his commanding officer yelled at him "Do you think you are smarter than me?", him being a smart ass said (being truthful too) "Yes sir, in fact I am", the guy raised his fist and my dad knocked him out.

The commanding officer filed a court marshal, but it if was not for a witnessing troop that saw my dad's situation, he would have been in deep shit.

Last edited:

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, guess I should weigh in here. I recently retired after 30 years of military service (My wife is also a 20 year veteran). Two years in the Army as a draftee - one in the U.S. and one on the ground in Vietnam. Four years in the Army Reserve and finally 24 years in the Navy first as a F-4 Pilot then as an Intelligence Officer. Medically cut from flying and moved to Intelligence.

In many ways joining the military service is like joining a college fraternity - in order to get the most from it and enjoy what you are doing you must find a service (and a job) that is compatible with your personality and interests. If you don't you'll never be happy. I counted down every day in the Army and loved the Navy. It was better for me.

Marines: If you want family. If you want a close net group that works and plays hard and together. If you want to know you'll be looked after by your seniors. The Marines expect and demand a lot from their people. Truly "can do." IMO the overall best of the best and their pride shows it.

Navy: If you respond to thinking on your feet to get the job done, regardless of the rules. Make it happen. Self starter. Able to see what needs to be done and then does it - w/out being told. If you can deal with that and working until the job is done, regardless of the hours, before your time off, this is best for you.

Air Force: If you really want the training to work in the corporate world upon finishing your enlistment here it is. A real 9 to 5 organization. Very difficult to rise above your job description.

Army: I won't comment. I'll let others. It's just not me at all, but I'm glad as hell they are there and I've got several friends I still stay in touch with after 35 years.

Coast Guard: if you are considered mature for your age and are able to accept a lot of responsibility this is your place. Because they fall under the Dept of Transportation, not DOD, their promotions are much slower. Different rules.

Keep in mind there are good people in all the services...and there are people you wouldn't give the time of day - some are your bosses and some work for you. The same applies for jobs. There are jobs you hate to leave when your tour is up, and jobs you can't wait to get out of. It's just the way it is.

I can only speak for the Navy and Air Force in the matter of opportunity, but the educational opportunities are limitless...IF... you want to seek them out and go for it. They won't come to you.

Some jobs are perfect for one person others are not. For example, the Navy has difficulty keeping Gas Turbine Tech's. As a result the promotion and bonus multipliers are jaw-dropping. These are the guys getting the BIG reenlistment bonuses. Same for the dental techs that make crowns. Can't keep them. On the other hand the Post Office is manned at over 100% because everyone wants to work for the postal service as soon as they leave the service. As a result promotions are slow.

I urge you to take a full battery of interest and aptitude tests prior to talking to a recruiter. Then ask about jobs which meet your qualifications. You'll be happier in the long run. And for many jobs you can enlist for that job. Remember however, normally enlisting for a specific job requires you enlist for a longer period of time. Navy Nuclear Techs go to school for two years and spend four years in the fleet - 6 years. Be flexible. If you are not, you'll have a tough time regardless of the service you choose.

A very close friend recently retired after 30 years as a Navy Seal Officer. He's still working in the field, now as a civilian. He speaks very highly of the Air Force and Marine Spec Ops. He doesn't care for the Army's MISSION for their spec ops people - SEALs do a lot of Intelligence gathering, and very specific tasks, some not so nice. The Army gets close with the locals and works with them. Great if that's what you want to do. Not disparaging the Army's spec ops, it's like I said about the job. It has to be good for you.

...BUT remember for ANY spec ops in any service you HAVE TO WANT IT or you will never get through training. AND, at least with the Navy's spec ops folks, once finished your life is the SEALS. BUDS is 23 weeks (it's typical for only 23-25 to graduate from a starting class of 140-150) then specific training and once assigned to a SEAL Team, routine deployments are six months followed by a year at home. Of that year 10 months are in training and 6-8 months of that are away from home. Then it's back on deployment. Like I said you have to want it.

The person that indicated you should finish college first and go in as an officer is correct, but keep in mind the standards are currently very high. Civilian jobs are difficult now so people look to the services. At the same time the services are cutting back so there are fewer jobs. Supply and demand.

Now just in case those of you reading this think I am not qualified to talk about other services, 10 of my Navy years were in Join Commands. I have written many Evals (Enlisted) and Fitness Reports (Officers) on people in ALL services. I have worked for seniors from all services. In fact if you read the papers or listen to the news, I was the Executive Assistant for the current retired AF 3-star being considered for the National Intelligence Director. I know him well. He's a VERY GOOD man and I have the utmost respect for him. I'm not a name dropper, just trying to let you know my qualifications to speak about other services. If you have specific questions please ask. I'm very proud of my military background and once you serve you will also.
Your advice and insight seems mostly correct and an individual interested in joining the service would be foolish not to listen to what you have to say.

That being said there are exceptions (that prove the rule?) in different branches. All I know of the other services is the little I've interacted with them during exercises (Army MP seems unhappy, Marines drive like the grim reaper is chasing them, etc.). The exception I can think of for the Air Force is the career field I'm in. While most career fields do seem to be 9-5 the one I am in is not. Shifts vary by specific duty, but are typically 12 hours. In my duty jobs are at a minimum 12 hours, aren't supposed to exceed 16 but I've worked a 25 hour shift. It was actually very common the first year I was at my station to work 15+ hours a day. Within my career field, the only people that work 9-5 are those who work desk jobs.

I'm sure every branch has it's career fields that are slightly different from the rest of the branch's career fields. I'm sure the base's mission is a large factor in what your job will be like. The base I am at has a mission that has made it so that I haven't had the opportunity to deploy (Been here 2 1/2 years, 3 years time in service). On the flip side, at most other bases everybody in the same career field deploy every other year.

I absolutely agree with you on your statement that you have to get a job that is compatible with your personality. My job is not, and as much as I really enjoy being in the Air Force I am considering BTG (Blue to Green) at the end of my enlistment because the Air Force isn't offering many non-combat related cross-trains out of Security Forces.

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is actually ALOT ALOT ALOT different now, at least in the army. They treat you real nice, no more shark attack right off hte bus, they cant swear at the privates anymore, they cant mentally abuse them etc. Its be all nice and sweet you can be til the private learns what he needs to. Todays army in vietnams situation would have been worthless. They have these things called stress cards. When the drill sergeant starts to stress you too much you can use this card for a 24 stress break. once a week or something. LOL
Most of this is likely to be rumors. When I was going through BMT the rumor was that Navy boot camp is exactly as you described. I've heard people from other branches say they heard AF BMT is how you described. It wasn't in '07, you get yelled at off the bus, MTIs aren't supposed to swear but what are you really going to do if they do? They do swear, or at least say words that sound exactly like swear words. They can't hit you, but they can pretend like they will, the MTIs throw chairs, beds, desks, not at the trainees, but near them, and the trainee should not get in the way.

There are rumors that surface every once in a while that AF BMT is easy as you described, rumors that trainees are allowed to have their cell phones, etc. It seems believable until you ask somebody who's been through it recently. My understanding is that it has stayed the same, but it is now 2 weeks longer.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
I went into AF BMT 1 year ago. You get screamed at as soon as the bus stops. There are no swear filters. Ever. No stress cards. It is 8 weeks long. MTIs can't tough you, but they can act like they are going smack you lol. Definitely very stressful and not easy.

'89ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
join the marines its the best way to go i live with 4 marines and their doing just fine and one is currently enlisted in the marines and im thinking of joining in the future

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Most of this is likely to be rumors.
Everyone keeps saying it has most likely changed and its most likely rumors and blah blah...... I was 11c, infantry and ft bennig ga is now training the soft mos's I was there 45 days watching these privates get coddled. I had an injury in my cycle and was recycled to week 6 after finishing all the wya through my current cycles graduation. My first unit was what they called high stress environment. No sweets, gatorade only, we ate 100% of everything with a spoon, no knife no fork. (unless we got away with crammin it in with our hands.) We had our entire platoon of 57 in, ate out, in 4.5 minutes once. (not neccessarily ate but this was the rare time we used our hands to cram) the next cycle was a low stress environment, the joes had chewing tobacco dip, cake, soda, anything they wanted pretty much as long as they maintained discipline. When I got recalled I was at ft benning again. Watching this stuff get easier.

Now I will say this, what happens inside the actualy barracks can be different, but throughout the day, anywhere that might be construed as public view, they have laid off hte privates.

I will be more than willing to admit that Im wrong when someone says , I just graduate and it aint like that.......BUt telling most likely it aint that way, or rumor has it, or whatever 'possible' conclusion you have come up with doesnt change what I saw. Point blank. Todays army is not as strong as it was yesterday.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals