• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger bed trailer wiring

ChaseCarConsortium

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Don’t be a pansy
Trying to figure how to wire trailer using factory twilight harness. Can’t wrap my brain around “combining” the 2 different harness’s

Pulling with 93 ranger (3 bulb taillight)

90 ranger bed (2bulb taillight) on a utility trailer frame with no wiring. However do have the harness and tailoghts from the 90. Obviously I’ll have to add lengths of wire and was gonna use 4 pin trailer connectors. But I’m struggling figuring out what to wire to what. Could use pin-outs of both connectors, and not sure how to combine the 2 different bulb for tail/turn on the 93 into the 1 shared one on the 90.

Any help be appreciated, especially connector diagrams . I’ve had 10 rangers from 89-05 models, but electrical is a definitive weak spot of mine

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You should be able to get a plug and play trailer harness there is a connector on the frame you just put a tee in. Then you can wire the third light from the trailer harness?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The 1990 chassis has the two wire system and the 1993 lights require the three wire system. The tee connector for a four wire trailer on the 95 has a three wire to a two wire converter i wouldnt know how to go the other way? Your chassis wiring in the 1990 does not support the three wire taillights.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You will need to add a trailer converter to your truck's wiring. Then you can just find the appropriate wires on the 90's harness and attach them to the correct pins on your trailer plug.

Personally, I'd use a 5-pin and wire up pin 5 for reverse lights.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals