Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Non Truck Discussions > The Tailgate

Notices

The Tailgate Off-topic forum. Some posts may be NSFW / NSFK.

To post in the Tailgate forum you must be a member of the Tailgate Usergroup. Click HERE to join the Tailgate Usergroup.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu is a jewel in the roughdoyouquaxu is a jewel in the roughdoyouquaxu is a jewel in the roughdoyouquaxu is a jewel in the rough
Default Two job offers, how to handle it...

Ok so, a little background: i haven't worked since october of last year. i've been looking, and resourcing like a mother effer.

i ended up applying to a bike shop in my area through their website. it's a chain store, and they have shops in several neighboring cities. i got a call from one of the other stores for an interview about 3 weeks ago. the commute is about 20 miles/30 minutes without traffic. i go in, things go great. i have to do a background check which is mandatory from the company to be considered for employment. no big deal, it'll take a week. this job will just be a bicycle mechanic. pay is minimum wage for CA. i already know i got the job, i called them a few days ago and accepted their offer and am waiting to hear back from the guy who does the training/orientation who works at the shop in my city. the bike shop really wants me to work for them based on past experiences at other shops, teams, personal experience, basically.... i know a shit ton about bikes.

in that week i was waiting for the background check, i get a call from a friend that an off road shop that is closer, and pays more, needs help. i call the shop up, and interview. i find out the position pays almost double the bike shop, is full time, and will all and all be a better learning experience for me. i'd be essentially running the front of the shop, answering phones, doing sales, ordering materials, and keeping up with their builds (among many other things). it's a big shop in the particular part of the industry, with a great reputation, and i'd be able to learn a lot not only about how a business is run but also about fabrication and machine parts. i am a moderator on a different forum and am very familiar with the shop's product line, which is a big plus for the owner. i already know a lot of people in the industry they cater to, which is another big plus.

my dilemma: i had already accepted the job at the bike shop before i had heard from the off road shop. how would you tell the bike shop that you found a better job that pays more, and is closer to your home? before this, i worked 7 summers (i'm only 21 until mid-june) as a life guard, while doing bike stuff on the side, or in the off-season... especially before i got hurt. i had always gone to school during the normal year, then lifeguarded, no need to job hunt and i never had 2 job offers at once. the owner of the off road shop used to be a pro BMX rider, and i know a lot of the people that he used to live with, makes products for on his machines, or used to ride with.

thanks for the input (sorry it's a long read)
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
97RangerXLT
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Supercab 4 x 4
I use this vehicle for: Putting wear and tear on my tools
97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to 97RangerXLT

i would say if the off road shop offer is solid, i would accept their offer, call the bike shop back and be honest with them. they will find another person to take your place, and you gotta do what is best for you. i honestly don't think the bike shop will care about you beyond you doing your job, and a min wage job can be done by most people on the street with little or no training.

also take into consideration gas prices. probably going to go up, and that commute is going to cost you money.

be sure to thank them for their offer tho, it will show integrity on your part. i would even go so far as to send them a thank you card.

just my 2 cents.

AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
After a 5 year review of the work of automotive engineers I have determined that every last one of them is an atheist. Looking carefully at their work it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc1024 View Post
Hey - we all have to help each other. Otherwise, we'd become an S10 forum and we'd all kill ourselves.
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=13474
97RangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Mahgongo
Supporting Member

Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT 4X4 Flare side,
I use this vehicle for: Daily Drive/ wasting gas
Mahgongo has a brilliant futureMahgongo has a brilliant futureMahgongo has a brilliant futureMahgongo has a brilliant futureMahgongo has a brilliant futureMahgongo has a brilliant futureMahgongo has a brilliant futureMahgongo has a brilliant futureMahgongo has a brilliant futureMahgongo has a brilliant futureMahgongo has a brilliant future

I would have to agree with AJ. It sounds like you know alot about bikes but they aren't offering to compensate you for your knowledge. And I also agree with AJ on notifying the bike shop of the other job offer. It is always a good idea when turning down a job offer to send a thank you card. especially if said company has paid for a background check on you. (why a background for a bike shop?) anyways, in todays economy any job is better than none but if you get an offer for twice pay and less comute I would jump on it.

Lance

I am a trader. I now own a Jeep too.
/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)

my now with more lights. "build" thread
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...56#post1073956
Mahgongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Earl43P
Supporting Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: a driveway ornament, light hauling
Earl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really nice

The job decision is a no-brainer.

Man up and tell the bike shop folks in person.
They'll understand and appreciate you being up-front about it.
See if they want to consider you for some part-time/weekend bike shop work, for a double-win.

82 GL1100 Bratbike
93 GL1500I DD
99 Valkyrie IS
08 Rav4 Sport "boring"
Earl43P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
tbirdsps

tbirdsps has a spectacular aura abouttbirdsps has a spectacular aura abouttbirdsps has a spectacular aura about

I also agree with AJ. Shorter commute, better money in what you want to do.
tbirdsps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
GoodOld85BlueBalls

Vehicle Year: 2010/2013
Vehicle Make: FORD/FORD
Vehicle Model: Ranger quadcab Brazil/F150 4x4 Limited
I use this vehicle for: Driving in Brazil/Driving in USA
GoodOld85BlueBalls has a reputation beyond reputeGoodOld85BlueBalls has a reputation beyond reputeGoodOld85BlueBalls has a reputation beyond reputeGoodOld85BlueBalls has a reputation beyond reputeGoodOld85BlueBalls has a reputation beyond reputeGoodOld85BlueBalls has a reputation beyond reputeGoodOld85BlueBalls has a reputation beyond reputeGoodOld85BlueBalls has a reputation beyond reputeGoodOld85BlueBalls has a reputation beyond reputeGoodOld85BlueBalls has a reputation beyond reputeGoodOld85BlueBalls has a reputation beyond repute

This is kind of a no brainer.

The one offering the most money!

It is eveyone here's dream to work in a 4x4 shop!Fuuk the bike shopGo for the better JobAnd ROCKIT!

Do you get my point?
Old 05-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
88_Eddie
Chopper Challenge Champion

Vehicle Year: 1988, 2000
Vehicle Model: Bronco II (Eddie Bauer), Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Annoying the old ball and chain.
88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute88_Eddie has a reputation beyond repute

tell the bike shop you got a better offer if you really wanna work there. tell them to match the offroad shop and you'll come work for them. my guess is that they wont, sounds like you'd rather go to the offroad shop anyhow. dont feel bad, that's just how business is. you think if they suddenly realized they didnt have the money to pay you, they would still give you the job just because they told you they would? doubtful.

i had this same thing happen to me back in december. i accepted a job at "just tires" and then a week later had a job at an insurance company for $2 more an hour, no weekends and 8-5 everyday. i told just tires to give me exactly what they were giving me and i'd come work for them, they wouldnt, so i said seeya.
2000 Explorer 4.0 2WD DD
Everything I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11.
The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedding Crashers
What'd you do with them? Motorboat? You play the motorboat? You motorboatin son of a bitch! You old sailor you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
88_Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
robertc1024

Vehicle Year: nada
Vehicle Model: 2008 F150
I use this vehicle for: teach my boys to not get rid of a Ranger.
robertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in a bike shop for 6.5 years. I got to the point where it was very dissatisfying because I knew everything there was to know about bikes at the time - I couldn't learn anything more. If you're curious about learning new things - go with the offroad shop. It's sure to have more variety of things to learn.

I agree with the bike shop suggestions, just be honest and tell them what happened - don't burn any bridges if you can avoid it.
robertc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
doorgunner
Lab Rat for V.A. hospital

Vehicle Year: 1934/1989
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: FUN on a daily basis!
My credo: JESUS (no-not HeySoos) Lives!
doorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^^^^.......what the other members said.......

**All the people who's freedom of speech I fought to defend are now telling me to shut up**
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu is a jewel in the roughdoyouquaxu is a jewel in the roughdoyouquaxu is a jewel in the roughdoyouquaxu is a jewel in the rough

thanks for the help guys. i go in for some training at the off road shop on sunday, then i'm either going to call or go talk to the bike shop manager in person on monday