• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83’ Ranger 2.8 Carb advice

Cultofeye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8l
Transmission
Manual
How’s it going guys, new to the forum and ranger world. Picked up this truck with a rebuilt factory carb. Carb is shot and looking for a straight replacement, looking for any advice on carbs and any other advice on things I should replace or modify, Hopefully this isn’t a duplicate thread, apologize in advance if it is. Thanks in advance

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
For most people, the simplest answer is to find the parts for a Duraspark conversion. You'd want a non-feedback Motorcraft 2150, preferably with a 1.08 venturi size. There's an article in the tech section of TRS that walks you through the process.

That said, I'm not sure what's involved on a California truck, particularly when it's over 30 years old.

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
Get a Holley 2 barrel TBI sniper system. Not that cheap but it is fuel injection. The Duraspark swap is not great. I had it for 2 years and its hard to find a good module. I've had them fry in the heat. Also have had the sealant they use on the back freeze here in the winter and crack and let all the moisture in. It is simpler and easier to troubleshoot than the stock system but they both suck. I don't know who the duraspark works for but I had absolutely no luck with it. Try the Sniper below.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_2300_2bbl/parts/550-849

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
carb from a 2.8L 1974 Pinto/Mustang

I converted to points and put on a carb from a 2.8L 1974 Pinto/Mustang (forget which). It has the little heat tube from the manifold for the choke, I think I would prefer an electric though.

You can always convert to a Pertronix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals