• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

removing middle leaf spring.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
okay, i broke my middle leaf in my leaf spring, still drivable, but i want it fixed. i dont want used springs. the local spring shop wants $90 for just the middle leaf, i was wondering what you guys would think about just removing the middle leaf, and replacing it with a skyjacker add-a-leaf($40). of course i would do both sides, and i know how to do springs(so please spare the instructions). the add a leaf said it would raise it about 1-1.5". i think it would be a lot less, if any at all, with the middle leaf gone. what do you guys think? should i just spend the extra $100 bucks on the regular replacements? and im not looking for a lift, just trying to save a buck!(im cheap!).. oh, and its a three leaf pack, when i look at aftermarket replacements, it says only 4 or 5 leaf packs..... but its 3, and looks completely original.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
okay, i broke my middle leaf in my leaf spring, still drivable, but i want it fixed. i dont want used springs. the local spring shop wants $90 for just the middle leaf, i was wondering what you guys would think about just removing the middle leaf, and replacing it with a skyjacker add-a-leaf($40). of course i would do both sides, and i know how to do springs(so please spare the instructions). the add a leaf said it would raise it about 1-1.5". i think it would be a lot less, if any at all, with the middle leaf gone. what do you guys think? should i just spend the extra $100 bucks on the regular replacements? and im not looking for a lift, just trying to save a buck!(im cheap!).. oh, and its a three leaf pack, when i look at aftermarket replacements, it says only 4 or 5 leaf packs..... but its 3, and looks completely original.

they were prolly replaced with a 1st or 2nd gen 4x4 spring at some point, i know the springs i just gave away were a 3 leaf pack from my 87

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, they sit right. thats all i can say about em. and they dont sag very much, even with a 1300 lb welder in the back! and they look original, but who the heck knows. i know explorers have 3 leaf packs, but are shaped different, and the bolt goes through the middle of the spring different.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so you think this would be an okay idea?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ah hell, since no one else would post, i went ahead and ordered em. and sorry, they were tuff country, not skyjacker, and $40 for the pair.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals