• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaf spring/ chevy swap question

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I swapped out my exploder springs for the 63inch chevy springs. The chevy pack I got had 4 leafs one being the flat OL spring. I removed the OL spring and installed the springs with a custom made shackle, my question is tho... IT RIDES LIKE A POGO STICK :icon_bounceblue: Anyway so for anyone who has done this swap do you have the same problem also I have a 84 reg cab or does anyone have any ideas on what todo I mean the exploder springs had a lil bounce to them but not this bad

95XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3L Diesel
Transmission
Automatic
I've done the swap, I didn't notice that big of a change, my truck rode like crap before, and it rode like crap after. By pogo stick, do you mean when you go over a bump, the truck continues to bounce afterwards, or they're just really stiff? I've noticed the bouncing after going over a bump, but only when I have a load in my bed. I used regular monroe shocks for a ranger, I figure they are valved too light for the spring rate of the chevy springs, so they dampen the rebound, but are not strong enough to dampen a load from bouncing.

Last edited:

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By pogo I mean its bounces back up a lil to hard kinda like it has no shock at all but it settles quick like it should, but I was just in the back of the truck a lil bit ago putting some weight in it and I thought hey why not jump up and down and see what is does so it acts as if the shock has no rebound dampening.

here maybe a funny tho I got the lift from a "show truck" he said it just came with another block for the rear scary I thought so I made some shackles and flipped the rear shackle hanger over to give me about 7 inches with the stock block left on the axle but to get to my point here I didn't really think about it but the shock shaft is on the bottom "axle" side and not the top like most shocks are and I remember thinking it was kinda weird and also the top rubber bushing had been trimmed on one side I didn't think anything of it when I put them on im not to sure what kind of shocks they are so I might try and flip them over and try that

so that kinda brings up another question wouldn't a shock if upside down or wrong side up would it cavitate and cause it to act like that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals