• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ranger skipping and sputtering

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hello again, i have codes coming up on my ranger of 211, 214, and 556. it is skipping and sputtering as i go down the road on warm days, but on cool nights like this, nothing. i know it sounds crazy, but it doesnt do it when it is cool out. crazy. any help appreciated.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Fuel pump in the tank...my Tempo did the same thing and just baffled me for the longest time...had the pump changed three times for the exact same thing...

But, then again...that was a Tempo...

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
does anyone know what a vehicle feels like driving when a converter is plugged up?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Falls on its face if the exhaust is badly blocked.

Idles fine, revs nice in neutral, pull out and it just can't power itself worth a darn. Doesn't necessarily miss, but won't rev and accelerate. Press the gas and it just about dies, sputtering.

Remove the O2 sensors and see if it has any better power (adds an exhaust outlet for more flow).

211 - Two or more successive erratic Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) pulses occurred, resulting in a possible engine miss or stall

214 - Cylinder Identification (CID) circuit failure

556 - Fuel Pump circuit failure

Sounds like a crank sensor or its wiring and the fuel pump to me. Only thing I can figure on the temp issue is maybe your IAT is always saying its cold air. When it's warm, the mixture is way off.

What year?

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
its a 94 ranger 2.3 5 speed stick, 4x4. what you described is EXACTLY what it feels like. it has a hole in the top of the converter that i think it blew in there. i am replacing next paycheck. as far as the codes, where can i find a cheap crank sensor? i dont understand why the newer ones go for 30-40 bucks brand new, and the one for mine is 130.00? wtf!!

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Because yours acts as the PIP and CID in one sensor, where the new version uses a Crank sensor and Cam sensor, separate.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you 93 EVTM pages. A bunch.

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok i did, thanks. can anyone tell me where the other end of the crank sensor plugs into the engine wiring harness at? it is about a foot long, the wire attached to the crank sensor. thanks alot.

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
earl43P, i have a camshaft position sensor also. so how do i tell which sensor is bad throwing the timing off? they both have to do with timing, dont they?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals