• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strange way to improve fuel economy?

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
nah I think at this point another poster had it right. I must have missed a push on the odometer.

Oh and I have to agree with AD. My fuel economy when pulling my other ranger was almost as good when I wasn't pulling the ranger. I pulled a Taurus wagon last weekend 600 kilometers and I was getting close to 650 kilometers on the tank judging from 1/4 tank usage. But that's highway mileage.

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
well the best i've ever gotten outta my truck is 20 mpg(goin 70 mph with 1,000 lbs in the bed). my fuel guage doesn't work anymore so i just fill up about every 250 miles anyways. and i honestly don't see how anyone could get more than say 22 mpg out of a 4.0L anyways.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I get 200 miles a tank :(

YellowEdge02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I usually get 200-250 to a tank 02 4.0L Ranger 4x4.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whoa...I'm used to crap mileage but apparently i can do better. AllanD please help me! Haha, I hate paying for gas. Heres what I got: 4.0L OHV, 4x4, 4-speed auto, 3.73 gears....33 inch tires. I know what your thinking...big tires kills mileage, EXCEPT!... day one i bought it, bone stock...400km's to a tank. The big tires did not affect mileage at all hardly. And i do not drive like a maniac, I accelerate slowly (keeping it under 3000 rpm's...usually trying to keep it around 2300 when accelerating and around 2300 rpm's on gravel,(in third cuz i go slower and its hard to keep it in over drive on the gravel) but on pavement i leave it in overdrive and try to keep rev's around 2000 for cruising. So i don't know what i am doing wrong, most of my driving is like...70% highway and 30% town. But still i was assuming i got abnormally low mpgs. I'm going to replace the fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve and spark plugs when i can and hopefully see a change. I also saw a thread awhile ago that said a bad ECT sensor would make mileage crappy...so tempted to replace that too.
P.S. I realize this is kinda thread jacking...if its more appropriate to start my own thread someone just tell me and i would be happy too:D
P.P.S. I would try the wrapping it around a tree and/or other methods of beating the shit outta it...but the one dent i have already bugs me so more would just make me sad:bawling:

Dweeno you are incorrect in yout thinking.. 3:73's and 33" tires is a formula for poor milage. If you go to 4:56's you will have much more power and better milage also.
What is happening is you are keeping the engine low on vacuume. That in turn retards the timing and also richens up the mixture. You don't have a chance of good milage OR POWER with that mixture of gears and tire size.
Big JIm:wub::hottubfun:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Take a ride with me sometime, you won't feel like you are going slow at all

Ask anyone who's ever ridden with me...

It's all about technique.

I'm absolute hell on "energy management" maintaining speed rather than slowing unnecssarily and while I'll accelerate hard I'll rarely actually use full throttle.

The point is avoiding "open loop" operation of the engine.
Keep it in "Closed loop" and you go 95% as fast,
but you burn 30% less fuel.

AD
I have a 93 4.0 4x4 as well and I get about 19 MPG. But I thought we had 14 gallon tanks? Where'd you get the extra 6 gallons? Oh yeah mine has a bad MAF.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Big Jim! Since I posted that I heard that other places but I trust things I hear on TRS from distinguished members like you the most:icon_thumby: On that note...anyone got a dana 35 and ford 8.8 pig with 4.56's (and lockers:headbang:)? haha... I doubt i could set up a differential myself...

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Is it possible you broke the exhaust and thus less restriction?
Just read an exhaust thread all that restriction helps economy so says Al Gore :icon_rofl:

I bet you damaged your odometer linkage and your not really driving as far as its reading. So at this rate, you could have a 300k mile 4.0 in a matter of weeks!!!!!

i averaged 22mpg from texas to home with cruise set, ac on and windows down for cruise mode over the summer. (and really cruise control kills your economy) btw 4.10 gears
locally I average 17/18, and I run the balls off my 4.0 vehicles......... it's just gas they sell it everywhere.

if you guys really hate buying it so much, get a bigger tank and stop resetting the trip mileage and just drive.

Frank

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 4.0 4x4 as well and I get about 19 MPG. But I thought we had 14 gallon tanks? Where'd you get the extra 6 gallons? Oh yeah mine has a bad MAF.
I think rangers came with a 16.5 or a 20 gallon tank.

I get 17 - 19 in town and 20 -25 on the highway with my 3.0L, 3.73's and 31's. I have the 16 gallon tank.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
im thinking that when he landed he crushed the fuel tank, therefore it now takes less to fill it due to the tank going from a 20 gallon capacity to about 17. my '93 4.0 with 3.73's and 235-15 tires has only ever gotton 19 at best, average of 17. and towing my box trailer, even empty i get 10. wind resistance really bites!

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Big Jim! Since I posted that I heard that other places but I trust things I hear on TRS from distinguished members like you the most:icon_thumby: On that note...anyone got a dana 35 and ford 8.8 pig with 4.56's (and lockers:headbang:)? haha... I doubt i could set up a differential myself...

guy is selling an explorer 8.8 trac lock but its got 373's. in weyburn...
wants 200. do you know of all parts automotive in regina?
guy named kieth gets me and my dad sick deals and i'd be willing to share the discount. and diff there is 200 pulled for me.
maybe i could get him down under that...
also, bucks autoparts(cheap shit) will be opening again on jan 4?
so they might have some gears. besides that u could buy gears online and have a shop set em up for you. prolly lookin at over 1500 bux all in tho so it might not be worth your while...

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
dam! my truck is screwing me over! i have a 1993 4.0 2wd ext xlt and im getting at best 16.3 avarage with 93 octane gas from qt. and i get 15.1 avarage from regular gas and i do about 50 50 if not 60 40 mainly highway. but i love my 4.0 so much power and torque. i have a raised camper shell on my truck and i filled the entire thing from front to back top to bottom full of wood and i stacked it to fit all that i could. my mud flaps were dragging on the concrete the whole time and i still got 16.1 that week. and i treat my truck. change the oil every 3,000 no later with max life full synthetic and a wix oil filter(nascar filter) and mainly premim gas cuz it gets better gas milage and runs smoother and quieter.witch is also some bs cause i have to add a whole 5 quarts by time i get to that 3 000 mark. idk where it goes? dont smoke or leak.

The Gat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 6.9L
Transmission
Manual
Could it be that you hit so hard, it spun your trip meter also?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
dam! my truck is screwing me over! i have a 1993 4.0 2wd ext xlt and im getting at best 16.3 avarage with 93 octane gas from qt. and i get 15.1 avarage from regular gas and i do about 50 50 if not 60 40 mainly highway. but i love my 4.0 so much power and torque. i have a raised camper shell on my truck and i filled the entire thing from front to back top to bottom full of wood and i stacked it to fit all that i could. my mud flaps were dragging on the concrete the whole time and i still got 16.1 that week. and i treat my truck. change the oil every 3,000 no later with max life full synthetic and a wix oil filter(nascar filter) and mainly premim gas cuz it gets better gas milage and runs smoother and quieter.witch is also some bs cause i have to add a whole 5 quarts by time i get to that 3 000 mark. idk where it goes? dont smoke or leak.
93 octane gas in a motor with with 9:1 compression is pointless.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals