• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.08 gearing with 235/75/15s

benjamin4000

Reaction score
This forum rocks! So I am new to the Ranger world recently got a manual 93 4.0 XLT 2WD, 116k miles. Have been taking care of a few things getting it dialed in (this forum has been an amazing resource) but now to my latest issue: tire size and gearing. It has 3.08 gears....using the handy calculator on here it says I should convert to 3.73, and that my actual ratio at the moment is 2.81. The truck had 235/75/15s on explorer wheels (which I replaced the tires as they were on the verge of destruction).

Is the current 2.81 probably why I’m not seeing great mpg? If I go to 3.73s is there any brand our source of gears that anyone would reco? And what do i need to order, just ring and pinion? My rears break loose all the time on wet pavement (I’m in Seattle area so it’s wet a lot) will that possibly improve with the change in gearing? And installing new gears, approximately how many hours of shop time will that cost? (I’m still a pretty novice DYI mechanic so assuming it’s over my head).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
3.08 is a really terrible gear ratio even in a manual trans truck. However if you do mostly highway driving over 70+mph you may actually loose some fuel mileage switching to 3.73 gears. City driving mpg on the other hand would improve a bit since you'll have more torque rowing through the lower gears so the engine wont need to work as hard.

If youre going to have a shop do it then you might as well buy a full rebuild kit not just the ring and pinion. There's no point re-installing old bearings. You'll also want a new pinion seal and crush sleeve.

Changing gears wont help with traction, probably make it worse until you get use to the lower ratio. Only thing that will help the one wheel burnouts in the wet would be to install a limited slip or get better tires.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you are set on keeping the axle I'd got to Randy's Ring and Pinion, get the gears and the master install kit.

If you want to be cost effective look for a use axle with some 3.73s, that was one of the most common ratios so it should be easy to find. Then install the whole thing.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you are set on keeping the axle I'd got to Randy's Ring and Pinion, get the gears and the master install kit.

If you want to be cost effective look for a use axle with some 3.73s, that was one of the most common ratios so it should be easy to find. Then install the whole thing.
second *10...

if you have a shop do the gears it is going to be $500 minimum to swap gears just in labor plus $200 in gears, $100+ in master install kit. If you go to a junkyard, grab a complete axle you can be out the door for $100-200 depending on what yard you are at and your area... also installing a junkyard axle is an afternoon thing with basic hand tools taking your time...

Back in the day I did 3.08 gears for a while with 235 70 15 tires, manual transmission and a 4 cylinder! that clutch didn't live long, and 5th gear was utterly useless

Are you sure of the gearing or has your truck been played with before? 3.08's are only available in the 7.5" axle, and the 7.5" axle was never behind a 4.0L Ranger... the tallest gears on a 8.8 in a Ranger from the factory are 3.27's which isn't much different, but there's some confusing numbers in your post...

benjamin4000

Reaction score
second *10...

if you have a shop do the gears it is going to be $500 minimum to swap gears just in labor plus $200 in gears, $100+ in master install kit. If you go to a junkyard, grab a complete axle you can be out the door for $100-200 depending on what yard you are at and your area... also installing a junkyard axle is an afternoon thing with basic hand tools taking your time...

Back in the day I did 3.08 gears for a while with 235 70 15 tires, manual transmission and a 4 cylinder! that clutch didn't live long, and 5th gear was utterly useless

Are you sure of the gearing or has your truck been played with before? 3.08's are only available in the 7.5" axle, and the 7.5" axle was never behind a 4.0L Ranger... the tallest gears on a 8.8 in a Ranger from the factory are 3.27's which isn't much different, but there's some confusing numbers in your post...

Yes from door sticker it’s an axle code 92, which is open 8.8 3.02.....haven’t looked at axle to confirm will do that in the am. Was considering just going to stock wheel and tire sizes as shown on door sticker, went to discount tire to investigate and they literally have no wheels that fit lol

I’ll maybe go the pick n pull route, just a bit leery of the axle swap difficulty for my dyi skills. A local differential shop quoted me $1300 to install new gears, seals, etc. so that’s out. Haha

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Well I'll be dipped, 3.08 8.8, don't remember hearing of those... just looked it up

Same goes for that though, junkyard is much cheaper, if you have time and a pick n pull around you they are 40% off this weekend with their "Toolkit Rewards", would make an axle just over $100 I believe, if you find a '93 or up 4.0L Ranger with a 96 or R6 door axle code you'll get a 3.73 8.8 that will bolt in pretty easy.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well I'll be dipped, 3.08 8.8, don't remember hearing of those... just looked it up
They were rare. It was a 4.0, RWD, and IIRC standard cab, only kind of deal. Basically the lightest version of the truck with the biggest engine it got.

benjamin4000

Reaction score
They were rare. It was a 4.0, RWD, and IIRC standard cab, only kind of deal. Basically the lightest version of the truck with the biggest engine it got.

I guess Super Cab too......leaning towards grabbing some 14x6 wheels today and reverting to factory wheel and tire size for now. Found a couple of options here locally.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
An old buddy of mine had a '93 STX 2WD Supercab 4.0L stickshift with 3.08 gears. It was a slug, even on the dinky stock 14" tires.

I'd keep the 235/75R15 tires and just swap in a 3.73 axle from a wrecking yard (an 8.8" axle from any '93-'09 Ranger model should be a direct-swap on yours). This should turn it into a whole new truck. Plus it won't look as weird having such small tires in the large wheel openings.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Nope, not just standard cabs. My '90 XLT supercab was 4.0l, auto, 8.8, 3.08 open, & 14" rims from the factory.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I agree, just to note the simplicity of swapping the axle:

-Remove 4 driveline bolts (12mm 12pt wrench and a butane torch at minimum, the loctite is very functional)
-4 U bolt nuts per corner, 21mm if memory serves
-remove rear tires (probably before you get this far... :))
-remove lower shock bolts (15mm on the bolt head, probably 18mm on the nut)
-remove connector for the RABS sensor, or remove sensor it's a 13mm head bolt
-remove rear brake lines, might be easiest at the axle end of the soft line, two hard lines that are probably 7/16" and one 13mm bolt

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
There is a good pick&pull up in lynnwood. I put 15” B-II wheels on my 83 and swapped the 3.73 LS and get around 18mpg with the summer blend fuel. You will also need to change the speedo gear in the tranny unless you like christmas year round. All those pretty blue lights:)

benjamin4000

Reaction score
There is a good pick&pull up in lynnwood. I put 15” B-II wheels on my 83 and swapped the 3.73 LS and get around 18mpg with the summer blend fuel. You will also need to change the speedo gear in the tranny unless you like christmas year round. All those pretty blue lights:)

Thanks and yes have been to that pick n pull recently...snagged a replacement headliner and front bumper :)

I decided to go with stock 14s for now and factory wheel size. Very pleased with the improved drive ability and since this mostly a commuter rig for me at the moment I don’t care about having bigger wheels tires etc....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals