• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overheating issue??

Promark80

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just wanted to throw this out and see what feedback I Get, thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Just finished up a head gasket job on my 4.0 Ranger, also replace radiator, t-stat, water pump, and hoses. I have about 30 miles on the fix and while driving today I noticed that the temp gauge never showed hot, but fluxuated quite a bit, also the air out of the vents never got real hot either. After it was parked it didn't leak any coolant at all. Thought maybe it would regulate after some more miles, what do you all think??

Thanks again

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Sounds like bad thermostat. It is opening up to quick or it opened up the first time and stuck there.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Kinda sounds to me like the cooling system isn't full. You sure you got all the air burped out of it?

If it's full... what Craig said.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Check with external thermometer infrared handheld, good chance the sensor is bad on the on the engine block and the gauge is fluctuating happens in my truck all the time will get around to it someday

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Check with external thermometer infrared handheld, good chance the sensor is bad on the on the engine block and the gauge is fluctuating happens in my truck all the time will get around to it someday
Temp sensor is probably less likely since op posted heat is warm at best. Rangers will burn you out when engine is at correct operating temp under normal circumstances.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
"Fluctuated"

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I also have a 1994 4.0l Ranger

Your heater core is clogged up, and that causes the fluctuations

If you look at the heater hoses in the engine bay you will see there are no valves on them, this means the heater core is the Bypass for the water pump when thermostat is closed and when open as well.
Heater core always has/needs coolant circulating thru it, so heater works, lol, and so water pump can have full circulation thru the engine all the time.

When Bypass is blocked, partially or fully, you will get the up and down in temp on the gauge because thermostat is opening and closing alot because flow thru the engine is not stable, and can't stabilize.

Good news is the heater core is not too expensive and very easy to change in 1994
2 hose clamps and 4 screws, and you don't need to drain alot of coolant out because heater core hoses are high up in the system.

You can test for this blockage by taking heater core out of the flow.
Remove the two heater hoses and connect them together, or route one heater hose from lower intake outlet to water pump outlet

Then go for a drive

But with the symptoms described, little heat in cab and fluctuating temp gauge, I would bet money on the heater core only having partial flow.

There are 4 screws holding on a plastic cover under glove box area, 3 are lower down, 1 is higher up, you can fold down glove box all the way to see this one.
Cover will drop down/come off after screws are removed, heater core will be visable
Put a towel down under the core
Assuming hoses are removed at this point
Pull heater core back and tilt it, you need to tilt it to wiggle it down and out and coolant WILL spill out, which is why towel should be there.

If core is blocked it will be HEAVY, compared to new core

Have some 3/8"-1/2" weather strip handy, the old stuff usually doesn't come off the old core.
Weather strip is NOT required, but you will get some air leakage around the core without it

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals