• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust and cold air intake

Erics2010Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have heard both yes and no on going WITH exhaust and cold air intake. What is your opinion or experience with running both? I am considering MBRP for exhaust and K&N for the intake.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Does your engine have a MAF? The oil from K&Nd tend to frig them up. Also, cold air intakes, I personally believe are a waste. I'd go OEM filter, especially on a 4.0, I don't know about any of the other ranger engines. Also, don't know much on exhaust, hit, I think youd get more from that than you would from the CAI.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You already have a cold air intake, a real one. If you want some shiny tube under your hood, go for it... But it will not gain any power over the stock intake. At best it will actually loose power.

Secondly, what do you mean by "exhaust" ? A cat back system? Headers? Full exhaust? You may gain 3-4 horse power from a full on exhaust system. And loose about 5% fuel efficiency.

Erics2010Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I mean cat back for now. Maybe Henderson the future.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
On that engine none of it is worth your time or money to do. The cat-back system maybe, if you need an exhaust already, or if you want to change the sound. From a performance standpoint you have nothing to gain.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
On that engine none of it is worth your time or money to do. The cat-back system maybe, if you need an exhaust already, or if you want to change the sound. From a performance standpoint you have nothing to gain.
I have to agree totally...

Those two modifications never made the list for me. I think what you have is really all you need. I will say that when my factory exhaust goes I will be looking at the cat back systems that are available.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have heard both yes and no on going WITH exhaust and cold air intake. What is your opinion or experience with running both? I am considering MBRP for exhaust and K&N for the intake.
You already have a Cold Air Intake, and a 200% air filter.

Your current Factory exhaust manifolds are scavenging for best power in mid-RPM band.
You can change to low-RPM band manifolds for better acceleration from standing start, but do lose the mid-band power

Thats the way scavenging exhaust systems work, you have 3 choices
Low, mid and high RPMs bands, you get one

Scavenging exhaust manifolds cause a lower pressure at the exhaust valves at a specific RPM, this is done by using the Velocity of the exhaust coming out of each cylinder in a smaller pipe and dumping it into a larger pipe size.
The calculations for this are numerous, lol, but suffice it to say they are accurate and specific to each engine model.

Ford has been using scavenging exhaust manifolds since the 1960's on some engines, its FREE POWER, since the late 1970's pretty much every engine from any car maker uses scavenging exhausts.

Last edited:

Erics2010Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Ok well that pretty much does it. I appreciate all the responses. I was pretty much just looking for a different sound with some performance added but I think I will just wait until it is time for new exhaust.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals