• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4WD not working, please help me to get this fixed

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What Ford did was to move the "bushing" onto the housing, and just used an all metal stop on the reduction gear, so no more worn out bushing on the stop.
Your stop and "bushing" looks fine

"Bushing" can be seen here attached to housing: https://postimg.cc/9wPWg6Z9

Brushes and Rotor

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I agree with RonD. Your stop and pin look fine.

The flashing indicator lights mean that the controller told the motor to do something but did not receive any feedback to say that the expected action (ie; rotate to 4hi) was completed. This can be caused by at least 3 different conditions.

1. Bad/ dirty position indicator contacts.
2. Intermittent motor operation caused by loose brushes or dirty commutator bars. ( I think Ron called these motor contacts)
3. Or, worn pin/stop assembly allowing the motor to drift too far at the end of travel.

Since your pin/ stop look ok and the design of your version of the assembly makes it difficult to examine the position contacts, the next easiest thing to check is the motor brushes and commutator bars. Testing to see if you can run the motor before any further disassembly may be helpful. In fact, if it will run, let it run for a few minutes. Let it cool a few minutes. Run it a few minutes, cool..... This cycle may actually help clean the commutator bars. Otherwise, disassemble it. The commutator can be cleaned with an ink eraser or some very fine sandpaper - something higher than 320 grit would be best. You just want a nice shiny copper surface. Also make sure there is nothing bridging the gaps between the bars. That would short the windings and make the motor not work.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've worked both motors several times for several minutes and they both run fine in both directions although I will say that my 98 ranger motor does not run or spin as quitely or as smoothly as the 2000 Ranger motor?

Here are pictures https://postimg.cc/gallery/opt2uyzi/

I don't understand if my motor is not replaceable without cutting the wire ( and my black wire was uncut ) than how is it that it has a newer improved design over the 2000 Ranger motor?

I wish that I could remove the 2000 motor and use that but it looks like it is one piece with large gear housing.

Gotta be a motor I can buy separate if need be?

I've typed the numbers stamped into the black housing online and I come up with various shift motor assy.

Thanks

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Just get another shift motor assembly from the supply house.

Riding around to junk yards and all the time you spent taking things apart and testing them is actually more costly then if you just bought one in the beginning.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just get another shift motor assembly from the supply house.

Riding around to junk yards and all the time you spent taking things apart and testing them is actually more costly then if you just bought one in the beginning.
Thats what I could have done from the begginning but I choose to try and pinpoint the issue and fix.

Going to junkyards, scouring parts, learning new things is how I enjoy spending my time.

I understand that it is a waste of time too most people.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Thats what I could have done from the begginning but I choose to try and pinpoint the issue and fix.

Going to junkyards, scouring parts, learning new things is how I enjoy spending my time.

I understand that it is a waste of time too most people.
I would think the newer one would work unless the wiring is totally different which I don't think it is.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would think the newer one would work unless the wiring is totally different which I don't think it is.
7 wires connected to this motor
(there are actually 8 wires, the 8th wire is for the electric clutch in the transfer case, which is part of the "on the fly 4WD shifting

The newer motor does not have this wire, I am looking online and cant find a shift motor assy that has this provision, I see 10 wire motors that are specified as working for a 98 but not sure how that can be

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
7 wires connected to this motor
(there are actually 8 wires, the 8th wire is for the electric clutch in the transfer case, which is part of the "on the fly 4WD shifting

The newer motor does not have this wire, I am looking online and cant find a shift motor assy that has this provision, I see 10 wire motors that are specified as working for a 98 but not sure how that can be
All Ranger electric shift motors have 7 wires, 2 for DC motor power and 5 for contact wheel position "sensors"
8th wire was used for electric clutch thru 2000
2001 got a different 4x4 shift controller/module and no 8th wire

Shift motor still had same 7 wires until Rangers last model year 2012, that never changed

Please post link to "10 wire" Ford shift motor
A few years did have 8 wires on the connector, so electric clutch wire could be disconnected but usually it had to be cut and spliced, on 2000 and earlier
And these 8 wire connectors were a pain because you had to try and match them or unpin the clutch wire and splice it, lol.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
All Ranger electric shift motors have 7 wires, 2 for DC motor power and 5 for contact wheel position "sensors"
8th wire was used for electric clutch thru 2000
2001 got a different 4x4 shift controller/module and no 8th wire

Shift motor still had same 7 wires until Rangers last model year 2012, that never changed

Please post link to "10 wire" Ford shift motor
A few years did have 8 wires on the connector, so electric clutch wire could be disconnected but usually it had to be cut and spliced, on 2000 and earlier
And these 8 wire connectors were a pain because you had to try and match them or unpin the clutch wire and splice it, lol.
Maybe I misunderstood, this states ( now that I re read ) 7 terminal 10 plug?

https://www.carid.com/cardone/transfer-case-motor.html?relationshipId=1680475617&childId=35568732&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqe_RrKuv3gIVBrjACh23awGMEAQYAyABEgJrVPD_BwE

EDIT: I dont know why the link is not taking you to the motor

EDIT: Maybe its working now

I dont understand that still.

Either way this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transfer-Case-Shift-Motor-Fits-1995-1997-Ranger-BW1354-1L5Z7G360A-1F2417645A/370452916555?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 is the one I purchased, I dont understand still where that extra black wire is supposed to come from but I figured I would wait until it showed up to start asking questions.

E-bay compatability chart says it will work on a 98 Ranger XLT standard cab 4.0

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals