• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

p0351, p0352, p0353

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Truck died on me about a mile from home. I pulled the codes and it pointed me to ignition coil. I got out and inspected the area. I noticed that the bracket holding the wiring harness on to the valve cover was loose. its the small bolt right in the center of the picture. it has the wire with the black thing on it and also the fuse holder in line. I tightened it up and the truck ran better and good enough to get home. I checked the codes again when I got home and it was the same 3 codes. I have p0420 too but thats been on for a month or so. I did have the valve cover gaskets replaced about a month ago. I ll try and post a picture of the bracket. the bracket also holds down a wire. I am wonder if they disturbed something when they did the VC gaskets. all thoughts are encouraged. Also it's raining out. Wondering if the moisture is a factor.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That truck has no in-line fuse holders.

You are talking about the RFI condenser, which can cause all sorts of screwy things to happen. The "in-line fuse holder" is just a square plug.

If it runs well I would clear the codes and see if they come back.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks adsm. It's not running well at all. It died right when I got it back. Any ideas? The condenser thing? Coilpack, ground? Should I clean the condenser wire up, is that a ground?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The codes are for coil circuits. Test the voltage coming into the coil, since that is the common line. If it is good, probably time for a coil.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The codes are for coil circuits. Test the voltage coming into the coil, since that is the common line. If it is good, probably time for a coil.
So I went out this morning to test the voltage. As I went to pull the harness off the CP, I noticed it was loose. On further inspection it looks like the clip on the wiring harness broke(I have a feeling the tech that replaced the VC gaskets broke it) I put a zip tie on one side of it best I could. I might put a zip tie on the other side? I cleared the codes and took it for a drive, it appears to be all set! Any other ideas how to solve this? Can I get a new clip for the harness? Should I put some dielectric grease inside the harness connection?
ADSM thanks again for the help. You're the best!

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So i looked on Rockauto and they sell the MC coil connector harness for $13. I wonder if the zip ties are fine or should I get the connector?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So i looked on Rockauto and they sell the MC coil connector harness for $13. I wonder if the zip ties are fine or should I get the connector?

I looked again and there's prob enough room to splice on the new connector. Maybe use solderless connectors and tape it up well.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would get the connector as cheap and fast as possible, even at a junk yard or something, and then de-pin both and just switch the hard shell. It's not that hard to do and less troublesome to do than opening wires.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh, ok. I'll order it now from rockauto. Thanks again!

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would get the connector as cheap and fast as possible, even at a junk yard or something, and then de-pin both and just switch the hard shell. It's not that hard to do and less troublesome to do than opening wires.
Mission accomplished! : my new connector from Rockauto showed up yesterday along with a $10 depin tool set from Amazon. I ended up just using the small screwdriver in the pic. I did not need the depin tool set. I watched a 5 min YouTube video of the process. I was unaware that you could even do this until Adsm08 told me you could. I spend about 30 minutes fiddling with the new connector until I figured out how to depin/remove the wires(I was watching Bones at the time and she does distract me) [emoji16]. Today i swaped the new shell with the broken one. It only took 15 minutes of actual work! It fired right up and so far so good! Thanks again Adsm08 you're the best!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals