• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help, advice on small lift and front alignment

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hey guys,

I finally got my 96 Ranger 4x4 aligned the best I can without doing any major modifications. Stock suspension, only change is that I used the Ingalls 594 camber caster bushings (extra 1 3/4 degree adjustment) because I needed them to correct my camber, which is the problem that leads me to make this thread.

So, I am running a set of older American racing rims, 15x8 with a negative offset of about 17mm (they sit very flush with edge of fender flare). With these wheels and their change of offset relative to stock, I have to set my camber caster bushings to max positive (about 3 degrees) to get 0 degrees camber with the truck sitting on wheels & on the ground. All my ball joints are fine, truck holds alignment.

That is all good and fine, but I was hoping to have some adjustment left in the bushings, and not be maxed out on camber. I want to add a very small amount of lift to the front end anyway (between 3/4 and 1 1/8") and I'm hoping to simultaneously get some adjustment back into the bushings to better fine tune my camber and caster, which as I understand, a small amount of lift would help (just like stacking welded washers under the spring seat as some people do)

I've seen some OBS Ford F150 under spring spacers that come, conveniently, in 3/4 and 1 1/8" sizes. I'm hoping that you guys can tell me if the 1 1/8" spacer will be compromise my alignment too much for the Ingalls bushings to bring back to spec, knowing that I am currently at max positive on them to get 0 on the ground, and knowing that I do not want to change axle pivot brackets. My thinking is that if I need max positive now, adding a small amount of front lift without changing anything else will cause me to need to put negative camber in the bushings to get back to 0, but I'm afraid that 1 1/8" might get me to the point where I can't add enough negative camber in the bushings to get 0 degrees at the wheel with the truck on the ground

All help appreciated, hoping some of you have used these spacers, thanks in advance

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Just now seeing this (was away from town for awhile)

You should be able to go up 3" or possibly even a little more if you're close to a maxed-positive position on the bushings (which would indicate your suspension is resting lower than it should be).

If you recall on the page I did about the steering and doing an alignment, there's info there about where the ride height of your suspension should rest at (beam pivots relative to wheel hub), and how to adjust it if it doesn't... If you compare where yours sits now to where it should be, you should be able to figure on raising it at least whatever amount that is (and probably a little more, given that the bushings have a similar level of adjustment in the negative direction from center as well). Also, know that the actual lift amount you get will be approximately 1.5× the thickness of the spacer due to the lever action of the axle beams. So if you used a 1.125" thick spacer, the truck's height should increase by about 1-5/8 inches.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals