• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Ranger Storm

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I've never understood bull bar on urban vehicle...just pay attention and use the brakes.
I have a bull bar on my Expedition. It makes a nice spot to mount an LED bar. Rural 2-lane highways here in Texas are 75 MPH. I like having the additional light when I'm driving out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. Don't want to hit a deer or a cow. I removed the aluminum skidplate from it so the air isn't obstructed getting to the intercooler for the EcoBoost.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Jim:

At least the Ranger Storm is sort of the correct direction for the 4wd crew, the black edition at the San Paulo auto show does nothing for me.

Part of that is I've never understood bull bar on urban vehicle...just pay attention and use the brakes. The monochrome black is OK, but its begging to be lowered 3/5".
I like this one!! but that thing needs an American nose job:icon_thumby: I think the steel bumper would make it look better. I realize its the same as the white one, but it looks better on the other truck. IDK maybe the " Ranger" grill would look better than that "Jaguar" looking grill.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I like the idea as a general concept but the execution is too European. Rumor has it the fender vent(s) on the U.S. Ranger are functional for the engine intake. That might make it easier to craft a snorkel to work off that if it's true. Not a fan of the execution on the rood rack either. Seems like someone is trying to appeal to the suburban/urban crowd with the styling.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Part of that is I've never understood bull bar on urban vehicle...just pay attention and use the brakes. The monochrome black is OK, but its begging to be lowered 3/5".
I'll admit that in truly urban areas it would be largely a styling thing. However I used to work with a guy who had one on his truck, which mostly got driven through fairly developed areas of NEPA, and one morning just outside of the town we worked in he nailed a deer. Had it not been for the Westin bull bar and forward skid plate, which took the entire brunt of that impact, that truck would have been torn up badly. As it was only the skid plate got dented a bit.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
I do not want and will not have a 3.2 diesel or any other diesel.

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That thing looks like a 1980's JC whitney catalog threw up on a F-150...
:haha::stirthepot: I gotta agree with u there, it’s alittle overboard :popcorn:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
:icon_hornsup:lol. I am the urban/suburban crowd. Maybe that's why I like it. Except the front. And a tad lower with wider meats on it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like the idea as a general concept but the execution is too European. Rumor has it the fender vent(s) on the U.S. Ranger are functional for the engine intake. That might make it easier to craft a snorkel to work off that if it's true. Not a fan of the execution on the rood rack either. Seems like someone is trying to appeal to the suburban/urban crowd with the styling.
It isn’t catered to the NA market either.

A snorkel is a factory option overseas so at least on the outside of the truck that part of it is taken care of.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Jim Oaks said:
I have a bull bar on my Expedition. It makes a nice spot to mount an LED bar. Rural 2-lane highways here in Texas are 75 MPH. I like having the additional light when I'm driving out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. Don't want to hit a deer or a cow.
I'll admit that in truly urban areas it would be largely a styling thing. However I used to work with a guy who had one on his truck, which mostly got driven through fairly developed areas of NEPA, and one morning just outside of the town we worked in he nailed a deer. Had it not been for the Westin bull bar and forward skid plate, which took the entire brunt of that impact, that truck would have been torn up badly. As it was only the skid plate got dented a bit.
Well, the rural 2-lane highways back home are only 90km/h; and you would be challenged to drive any faster and keep your fillings. And cops don't have any sense of humor about additional lights - they must be covered if you're on the roads (and with all the gravel, you'd be crazy not to cover them).

I've only hit 1 deer in all my travels (knock wood) and that one only creased the driver's fender - so close to missing her... (Faline didn't fare so well; it was a little nerve wracking to finish off an injured deer with just a tire iron).

The better one was the duck off the windshield that landed in the truck box. Didn't break the windshield or dent the cab (but that was the '68, and its pretty solid).

Most of the deer strikes back home, the deer makes one last leap, so it is hood/windshield that take the hit. Neighbor wrote off her brand new Expedition when nice muley buck made contact with the "A" Pillar at ~80km/h. Bull bars don't help there.

Cows, mostly, don't move, so braking then evasive action is basically the ticket.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Not many deer and No cows to worry about in the city limits

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I only run my Hellas on gravel, I turn them off at the first sight of anybody. They are great because as I am cresting one hill they are sweeping the next for eyes.

They have been on there 10 years, nobody has said anything and I haven't broken one yet. Both my trucks have them.

Your results may vary, generally they don't jump. A girl a few years ago was killed when one jumped and came thru the windshield of her Edge a few miles from my house. I have a Westin Sportsman grille guard on my dd, I figure if nothing else it will probably keep them out of the radiator so I don't get stranded. The one I hit, the one my brother hit and the one my wifes friend hit all bought the DS front corner.

The dealership my brother started out had a brand new Superduty come in that hit a black angus bull in the fog... at night. Only thing that saved the truck was the frame was untouched, front clip looked more like a van than a truck.

Last edited:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
My dad left florida in his Lincoln Continental. Hit a deer in Mississippi somewhere around 11:30 at night. Dad was worried about his new windshield. Didn't break, but it did bust his passenger headlight and cluster. Deer ran off, no blood, just fur.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting, mine was DS fender too.

They got pi$$ed at trucker's damaging people's vehicles back home, so they are limited to 60km/h on gravel now.

My '68 was an 'ercury, because the "M" was planted up some charolais bull's posterior. But other than losing the letter and the slightest of dents in the hood, the truck got stopped in time.

Last time we went home there were 13 deer in ditch or on edge of road; add the one moose we saw and it really slowed us down. Needless to say we didn't set any time records getting home.

A bull bar on my lowered Ranger wouldn't help much in any of those scenarios.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals