• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch pedal not returning from the floor

Jeannette83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just bought my daughter this truck. It's a 2.9l. The previous owner did a lot of upgrades, but when he got a better truck he just took the mods off this one and did not replace anything, so there will be a ton of questions from me. Anyways. First and foremost.. the clutch pedal stays on the floor board. I can shift the truck, when it's off just fine lol. Have not gotten it started just yet. I have looked and looked for a detailed diagram but with no luck. I'm ordering the manual, but till it comes I need y'alls help. Thanks a ton.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is most likely a leak somewhere in the system or there's a ton of air in it. If the system doesnt have enough hydraulic pressure to press the pressure plate then there is nothing to make the pedal return. Start simple, Does the master cylinder have fluid? Can you see a puddle under the truck?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Start simple, Does the master cylinder have fluid? Can you see a puddle under the truck?
Solid advice right there... If no fluid... fill it... then look for leaks.

Jeannette83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is fluid in the reservior, but there looks to be a leak in the hose that connects to the transmission. That hose actually does not look like its all the way inserted. Ill go take a picture. Also whats the secret to undoing the bolt to bleed the system? Im afraid im going to strip it. Its not a normal bolt. You will see in the photo. Oh I also youtubed how the clutch actually works. Knowing that is making things easier. Any suggested videos?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Drawing here: https://www.phoenixfriction.com/Images/articles/hydraulics-diagram.jpg

Clutch master has a spring inside that will push pedal back up when your foot is off the pedal
If pedal doesn't come back up then either the valve in the Master is bad or the spring is, in either case its the Master that is the problem.

The slave doesn't have a valve or anything else inside it, it's just a cylinder that expands when fluid pressure is applied.
The Quick disconnect fitting on the end of the Master Cylinder's hose has a valve that is pushed open when slave connection is pushed into it
If Quick disconnect pops off or is not on all the way the clutch pedal can't be pushed down.

The Reservoir connection to the Master has a one-way valve, in the Master, so when you push down on the pedal the fluid is directed to the slave not back up into the reservoir.
As you release clutch pedal, and it comes up, if slave had a leak the lost fluid would be replaced from reservoir.
I would check that, if fluid does come up into the reservoir when pedal is pushed down, then again, master is at fault

Replacement Master should come with reservoir and hose to slave with quick disconnect fitting attached
And push rod attached as well

You should use a box wrench or socket on the bleeder to loosen it, not open end wrench or pliers, once it is loose you can use open end wrench for bleeding
And there should be a "nut" you need to hold while breaking loose the bleeder valve

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Best way is to load it to a picture hosting service like imgur (don't use photobucket) and then use the BBcode tag it provides for embedding the picture.

If you took the picture with a cell phone or a high quality digital camera it is best to open it in pain and resize to 1200x900 pixel, select the "keep ratio" box, and save it before upload. Otherwise it will be huge.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

actually, photobucket has relaxed some of their policies. low volume users can again link to images.

even images that hurt the eyes

Jeannette83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That diagram is from heaven! So she was missing the clutch interlock switch. I'm going to put it on today and see how that goes! Thank you so much for explaining it! I can't see it being the master because there is no fluid movement when she pushes in the clutch. I'll really get down and check the connection to the slave!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Inter lock switch is just for "Neutral" detection, this is used to start the engine, disengage cruise control(if so equipped), and shifting into 4low if its a 4x4 truck

Won't cause clutch pedal issues described

The Starter relay needs 12volts to activate, it travels from ignition switch thru this interlock switch to get to starter relay, this can only happen when clutch pedal is down and switch is pushed closed

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals