• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heater Hose to Heater Core

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Down to the nitty gritty with swapping out all my coolant system components. I forgot, like a doofus, which heater hose goes to which side of the heater core or does it matter? I could just be overthinking the whole thing because I have been at it all day.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Heater cores are the fluidic equivalent of an incandescent light bulb. If both inlet and outlet are the same size they don't care which way the juice is flowing, as long as it is flowing.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Heater cores are the fluidic equivalent of an incandescent light bulb. If both inlet and outlet are the same size they don't care which way the juice is flowing, as long as it is flowing.
Thank you. As I thought I was overthinking it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just an FYI

Heater hoses should be reversed at the heater core every 2 years, this, in effect, back flushes the core every 2 years and will make it last longer.

Coolant has anti-corrosive properties, but it only works when it circulates and interacts with the metal parts of the system
Bits of debris will form in a cooling system, and it can block passages in the heater core, this cuts of flow in that passage in the core, so no "protection", and it will rust out and leak
Reversing the flow can push out any debris the way it came in, not 100% effective, but better than not doing it, lol.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Just an FYI

Heater hoses should be reversed at the heater core every 2 years, this, in effect, back flushes the core every 2 years and will make it last longer.

Coolant has anti-corrosive properties, but it only works when it circulates and interacts with the metal parts of the system
Bits of debris will form in a cooling system, and it can block passages in the heater core, this cuts of flow in that passage in the core, so no "protection", and it will rust out and leak
Reversing the flow can push out any debris the way it came in, not 100% effective, but better than not doing it, lol.
I did not know that! Thanks for the info. You learn something every day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals