• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

STX and High Rider Info!

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
Heh, I have an '88 Hi-Rider and my rear tube bumper is absolutely perfect...same for the pushbar, the Cateye fog lights (which have black plastic covers with the Ford oval in white stamped on them) and light bar...I always thought the factory switches for the fog lights and off-road lights were neat.

I've had mine since '97 (my first vehicle) and it's been MINT ever since. In the garage for the past 7 years in storage with a brand-new trans, heh. The 2.9 blew at around 200K, less than ONE oil change after I had the A4LD trans rebuilt, which is still in it.

Have a 5.0 sitting on a stand I'm going to swap in...I'm not too worried about decreasing the value of this truck...it'll never be worth anything, in my honest opinion. It WAS, by FAR, the BEST 4WD vehicle I have ever owned...better than the Wrangler I owned, hands down. It was amazing how that thing did off-road being a stock vehicle!!!
Have any pics?? I still have a push bar minus the head light bars, thats rust free that I had on my '86 not sure what it came from I got it for free off a guy with a 2wd ranger that he was parting out. The light switch you talk about what did it look like? The one I took from my STX had the KC emblem on it next to the switch I have it in the garage right now too.

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger, I'll try and get some on here...the factory switch is located under the steering column (oh about 6 inches) on the right side, directly under the dash...it's black, and has 2 switches side-by-side..1 for the fog lights and 1 for the rollbar lights...and each one illuminates when depressed. I have found this factory setup w/ the wiring and switches before on ebay but the guy wanted like 500$!!! I put round black KC's on my rollbar, as I never had the originals that came with the truck which I believe were actually rectangular.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
My STX came with a one piece visor/ spoiler/ light mount which had two retangular KCs mounted with black covers in had a switch in side just off to the right of the colmn with KC emblem on it. I don't know if this was a factory install or some type of KC option avalible on the rangers. I have a pic of the visor thing I don't know if it's in this thread or not i'll look.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
Here it is I still have the KC switch mount too.

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think all the factory STX tubular bumpers turned to rust.

My tube rear bumper, roll bar, and brush guard were all aluminum. No rust issues there

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I gotta make a trip to the scrapyard, see if any of the trucks i sent there were highriders..

douglasc76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So whats one worth?

I have an 89 STX 4x4 High Ride Reg. Cab Long Bed, 2.9L mitsu 5 speed eshift BW1350, Bucket seats, Optional Push Bar w/ fog lights and Light Bar w/off road lights. Tube Rear Bumper. 144,000 miles. Needs a motor, paint job, minor body work and Back bumper. It's the first truck I ever owned, bought in 93. Trying to decide if i should sell it or fix er up. I have a motor. Thanks, Doug:icon_thumby:

Diesel Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got a tubular pushbar on mine too with the headlight loops, but around here I've seen a few of those pushbars around, just start hittin the junkyards to find one.

crispyominus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l EFI
Transmission
Automatic
saw this thread and thought i'd jump in. i have a 86 stx 2wd 2.9L automatic trans. is there any listing of what all the 2wd stx package includes?

90rangerSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 1990 STX from a dumb car dealer near the house about a year ago. I bought it for $300, and loaded it on the trailer. He said it wouldnt start so he wanted it gone cheap, I took it home and tightened down the battery cables and it started.
Anyways..
Its a ext. cab with the 4.0L it got a 8.8 rearend with 3.73 posi. it has the factory shackle flip in the rear. It had the sway bars front and back but i took them off. it has all power interior stuff(seats/windows/locks). and it has that really awsomely gay decal down the sides.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i almost know someone custom ordered my stx from the factory. it has a wierd quirks. like that it has a 4.0l,manual windows,straight glass,automatic. id kill for the sport appearance package.

SiouxTika

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Apologies for any crappy formatting, etc. My internet is down and I'm using my cell.

Hey y'all,
I have an 87 High Rider that I planned on restoring but life happened and now I'm sellin' her. Loretta Synn, is her name. 89k miles on her, purchased from an old man in north GA. I paid 2 and have put about 1500 in her. She's been jimmy rigged a bit under the hood but she's my daily driver and I take her an hour north once a week to see my folks. I'm back on the forum to offer her to y'all first. She needs someone who can do the restoration themselves and I'd like to know she stayed in the family. My only issue is I'm unsure I can get what I want from an enthusiast, vs. a random Craigslister. Are any of you local? I'm in Atlanta.

I'd love to speak with anyone but especially a local. I'm sad to see her go.

Cheers,
Anya

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I took some pics of the front springs, the top is an 87 stx high rider, the bottom is a 91 stx;

There is a 1" difference in installed height too.

Richard

Clayso17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 87 STX reg cab. The truck has been in my family since 88 and I've never heard of a high rider before today. After reading this thread im thinking it might be. How rare are these trucks as I was about to start heavily modifying mine. Id hate to destroy something special.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know if you can still order STX pivot brackets from Ford?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals