• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stock ranger, what should my first upgrades be?

RANGERxGHOST

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I'm 14, got my permit. I'm planning on getting a job soon here so I can pay for my upgrades I'd like to do. I just don't know where to start. My brother and I go out and offroad and I want better performance on the trail. I want to get started upgrading now so my Ranger can be ready for when I turn 16 and have adventures with all my friends!

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
New seat belts or safety harness.

Ray

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Y'all can get a permit at 14? When I started driving, here in Georgia, we couldn't a permit until 15.

What mods to spend your hard earned money on at 14...

Insurance, good tires, good brakes, insurance, and gas in the tank

Preferably in that order.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to The Ranger Station!

Nobody mentioned tunes....You'll want a modern head unit with Bluetooth/Aux input, maybe an amp with better speakers!

I suggest you get a service manual and take this opportunity to catch up on all of its maintenance items. Simple things like a new serpentine belt, put new bearings in the two pulleys (or just buy new pullys). Flush the coolant and refill, check all the hoses and replace the thermostat with a quality 193 degree one. Flush out and replace the brake fluid when you replace the pads (and maybe rotors). Spark plugs can tell you how well the engine has been running, at least clean and gap those, if not replace with new double platinums (Autolite or Motorcraft) along with plug wires.

Then get into the mechanicals, check out the tie rods, ball joints for wear, replace with the kind you can GREASE occasionally. Flush the power steering fluid, replace it with synthetic ATF for quieter pump operation. I just suck out what's in the reservoir, refill with synthetic ATF, drive it a few days and repeat, repeat until you used up a quart.

Once you get all of those essentials up to snuff, think about the realistic usage of your truck. Big tires are all that off road, but effect your mpg driving around town. They also throw off your speedometer.

Make sure your parking brake/cables are in good working order, you NEED that to work. One trick I use fairly often is to gently apply the parking brake part-way when the rear wheels are spinning. Once it grabs and you regain traction, release the parking brake. That trick can get you out of a hole!

Take a look at your rear differential tag (or get the code off your door panel) and report back what your gear ratio is. If you have 4L10, that's the best for off road, stock. It'll work with taller tires better than 3.73s. If it's 4.10 without the L (for limited slip) I can predict you will be wearing out one rear tire and using the parking brake trick off road.

I suggest your first mod be adding LED Off Road lights.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I think these guys have the basics down for you...my first vehicle was cheap because it needed brakes and body work so I spent what little I had on the parts and learned to do that without any prior experience or even something like TRS to help me out...

In fact, there wasn't even a WWW back then...no cell phones either...we didn't even have real tools and used rocks and coconuts to do repairs...and no beer juice in a can...we had to go squeeze the beer trees into half a coconut shell for refreshments...

Those were the days...so, since you can't experience that without visiting Disney World it's better you come here for all tips, tricks and tool advice...:)

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea.. I started driving at 13 when I lived (visited for the summer my Aunt/Uncle) in South Dakota. Long Long time ago. The more the farms are going away and more people are living in the cities and towns all states have changed the driving age laws. It was great though cause when I turned 16 here in California all I had to do is take the written test and a very short driving test. No Drivers Ed or training in H.S.

Anyway save your money as much as you can. GO TO COLLEGE!!!!!!!. Get a job and with the right degree you will have enough money to do a truck the right way.

But have fun with your new truck !!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals