• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Motor Mounts

Hjcraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
MRE BOOKS WROTE : Motor mounts are simple to build for this swap. Ranger motor mounts consist of a rubber pad with a stud sticking out of each side. One stud goes through the frame and has a nut which screws on the back to attach it to the frame. The other stud sticks straight up and attachés to a
motor bracket. Four cylinder motor mounts are usually hydraulically filled and are weaker than the V6 mounts, which are a solid rubber mount. Whenever possible, use the V6 mounts. These are used on 3.0L and 4.0L Rangers.
Fabricate two new brackets from 1/4-inch plate steel to bolt onto the side of the V8 motor at the motor mount bosses. This isn't as difficult as it
might sound. These brackets are just pieces of 1/4 inch steel with two holesdrilled through them so that they can bolt to the block, and then two more holes, one for the motor mount stud, the other for the alignment pin which also sticks up rom the motor mount.

The stock 4.0 Motor Mounts from WESTAR #2641 and # 2642 are only about $40.00 for the set. Being a Metal fabricator I can easily build the steel mounting plate. It looks to me like this may position the engine a little high.
Does anyone have any experience in using this method and how did it work?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
They are a piece of cake to build. Look the the TRS tech articles there will be a template, it is the exact same type of mount I built. The 2.9, 3.0 and 4.0 are all the same lower mount. You will have to move that mount around on the crossmember for final placement. If you leave them in the stock holes it will be quite high, move them down and drill new holes. My oil pan is about 1/8 in from the TTB crossmember. They work pretty well for the little investment. You can get them at the junkyard if you want on the cheap or buy new.

Matt

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hubert,
I would set the motor as low and far back as i could if i were you.

I take it you recieved that tranny ok?

Hjcraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Brian, The Tranny worked great. Thanks. The picture of your 351W Headers in another Post is Super. Did you buy them or fabricate them?

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Those i bought from total performance. I am glad the tranny worked for ya.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
im ny opinion this doesnt work so well for some. i used this on my last ranger with v6 mounts. my motor had a fairly lopey cam and at idle the motor bounced all over the place. probably not bad on a real small cammed motor thouhg

V8 power...do you have a link to a site for those headers? im looking for something to put on my 331 soon. the crap shortys i have are about gone

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I have a very radical cam and use these mounts without any problems. A lot of it depends on placement. The lower in the frame the better because this will make the steel plate smaller creating less leverage to rock the engine around. If you are still concerned with high torque, build a torque link to keep the engine from twisting on the rubber mounts.

Matt

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
V8 power...do you have a link to a site for those headers? im looking for something to put on my 331 soon. the crap shortys i have are about gone
Sorry they don't have a website. i can get you their phone number and email if you would like.

Drg racr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Post the phone # or web address. I'm in the planning stages of my 351W Ranger project.

Hjcraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Hjcraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Brian, I havent talked to them yet. Still saving my pennys and doing some more research. Just trying to finish wiring my shop and hopefully reverse my cash flow. I am actually looking for a 93-95 Step-Side, my 93 is a Straight side.
Check out this guys mounts selling on Ebay, 1988 FORD RANGER V-8 SWAP MOTOR MOUNTS Item number: 220188820097

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals